Sunday, March 26, 2006

Why My Dad Loves Pancakes


First of all, this picture is of my dad, who is 93 years old and my grandson Parker, who at Christmas 2005 was about 3 1/2 months old. They are the oldest and the youngest members of my family. I think they look pretty happy together! Since the last picture and music had to do with lollipops, I thought what better follow up than to do a real life story about why I think my dad loves pancakes. I learned a while back, when my dad was a young boy, he would get up early with his six brothers and go out and do chores on the farm. They would get the chores done and then come back to the house for breakfast. Most of the time, breakfast would be eggs, bacon and toast. But, every now and then, on the way back to the house, my dad would smell something different. And, he would say to himself, "Oh boy, pancakes!" It was always a special treat. To this day, every time my dad goes out to eat, he orders pancakes. I suggested to him that maybe this early memory is one of the reasons he loves pancakes so much. He said, "It just might be. I never thought of that." He has invited me out to lunch for my birthday. I know we will go to his favorite place, and he will be having pancakes! Who knows? Maybe, I will too!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A man after my own heart Judy, I love pancakes too.

I think your dad and I also share a love for the little guy he is holding.

Hi Parker

Anonymous said...

Have a nice pancake lunch at Perkins, Mom!!! Happy Birthday! Man, Parker is pretty!

Adam Wright said...

That's a great picture. Parker looks really good. I think Parker has the most amazing eyes.

There are to ladies at our church that refer to Parker as the 'little flirt' because he smiles at them and always has a twinkle in his eye.

AJ

Anonymous said...

That's a great story! I think Parker looks a lot like Grandpa! Have a nice lunch! Enjoy having your daddy!

Adam Wright said...

I find my self coming back to look at this post again and again. I think because that is a really good picture of Parker.

He really is a sweet, sweet boy

AJ

Anonymous said...

This song makes me think of the "Wizzard of Oz". And oh what a precious little smile Parker has. When I look at this picture, I feel better.

Judy Roo said...

parker is beautiful.....as are all my grandchildren.......sometimes I could cry I love them all so much..I am one lucky gramma..that is for sure..a lucky daughter, wife, mom and gramma....I am a lucky person..and esther, I am really glad this picture makes you feel better..

Adam Wright said...

This may be one of my favorite pictures of Parker. He looks so happy and content. Grandpa Kallsen has that affect...

Judy Roo said...

hi ad....it is a beautiful picture of parker...the look on his face and the way he is sitting and holding his hands...it is what one might call priceless.....I don't know how many people have a picture like this of them being held in the arms of their great grandpa...