Friday, March 24, 2006

Hi Derek! Hi Davey!

I love this picture! When Sarah sent it to me tonight, I knew it was going on the blog. I went in search of a song and found this magical song by Burl Ives. What a fun little song. Just the idea of a little boy planting a lollipop stick in the back yard made me smile. And, then, the idea of the big brother telling his little brother about it as a bedtime story made me smile more. Well, from there, my mind went back to a really nice memory when our children were little. Tom used to tell a made up story about Reginald the flying picnic table. From what I remember, there would be a new adventure each night. That bedtime story lived on for years. I know for sure Sarah told the neighbor children the stories when she babysat them. Adventure and magic and make believe are three things I believe we need to keep in our lives no matter how old we get.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great picture! Great music! Great story! Yes, I loved Reginald the Flying Picnic Table! Just the name makes me smile inside! Dad also named the squirrels in the story. :)

Judy Roo said...

I love that the memory makes you smile honey......it is so funny what triggers our memories...simply a thought in the here and now can take you back in time....

Anonymous said...

Reginald the flying picnic table was the BEST! I loved those stories! Thanks Dad!

Judy Roo said...

hi kara roo...do josh, christopher and amelia know about reginald the flying picnic table? I think the legend of reginald has come up a time or two..and what was the name of the neck pillow i used to have in my car that dad made up a name for? he would use a funny little voice..remember? he would do something with that little pillow when he was in the back with the kids...gosh...I hope one of us remembers...

Tom Wright said...

I'm glad you girls remember my stories. I too wish I had written them down so many years ago. But then, their essence was that they were improvised in the moment.

Adam Wright said...

Looks like Derek has some of the same curls as Kallsen. Great picture, too.

When I was growing up, the stories Dad told me were about glow in the dark bottle caps and a family of four bears that lived in Southern Wisconsin.

AJ