Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Lilacs And Letters

I love it when I get a picture and a quote in my email on the same day.......and they go together!

"Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. " Marcel Proust

Lilacs are special flowers for me. My mom loved them and I always hoped they would be blooming by Mother's Day. They are blooming this year and I will always be grateful to have had my mom for almost 87 years.

Recently, I found a letter I wrote to my mom when I was a child. I am sure it was a school assignment as the letters of the alphabet are neatly written at the top. It is titled....

"What My Mother Means To Me"
I know my mother loves me, and does everything she can for me. Some things she can't give me and I try to understand, but sometimes it's hard. The things she does give me are always nice.
One time I did something that I never should have done. When I got home I talked a little bit and then told. She didn't really get mad at me, but I knew she was disappointed. I haven't done it again. From then, she hasn't mentioned it. I'm glad.
Our dog, Bingo, is an awful pest. Mom feeds him when either my sister or I should be doing it.
If anything would ever happen to her, I don't know what I would do. I really appreciate what she does for me, although I probably don't show it. I just want her to know it.
Judy
Mom, you were a charming gardener in my life, and you made my soul blossom. I love you and I miss you!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judy…
This post touches me deeply. I believe one of the hardest things when you lose someone you love are the feelings of the things left unsaid.
You loved your mother deeply and of course you miss her, but you can be consoled in the knowledge of how you demonstrated your love for each other during her life.
That is a wonderful memory to have.
Joe

Adam Wright said...

Very Nice.

Anonymous said...

That's nice! And a nice letter you wrote to Grandma. She was sure a very special woman and we were all lucky to have her!

I remember bringing lilacs to her on mother's day too!

Judy Roo said...

I do too kara.....

Anonymous said...

You are a special gardner to me and so was Grandma. xo

Judy Roo said...

it is joe.....it is....I told my mom how much I loved her and I even told her I was memorizing her hugs ..... I told her I wanted to remember what it felt like to feel her arms around me.........sometimes we know that our time is limited...she and I talked of many things...I knew she was ready to go...and I knew she knew I loved her and I knew she knew that I knew she loved me.....it is wonderful to know that.....thank you for writing joe......

Judy Roo said...

I know grandma was a special gardener for you sarah and I am glad that I am and have been for you too..........I never thought of myself as a gardener, but now I do......I guess it all depends on what you are growing.....

Judy Roo said...

thanks adam.......

Tom Wright said...

I love the Lilacs and letters! The words, photos and music are pure poetry.

Judy Roo said...

thank you tom.....I am really glad you like it!