Sunday, May 14, 2006

Her Name Was Margaret

My mom's name was Margaret. I wish everyone had been lucky enough to know her. There was something about her. I suppose like all kids, I didn't know how lucky I was until later in life. But, I know I always watched her and took note of how she lived her life. I listened to her talk about her parents, her best friend, Gladys, how she came to be a bookkeeper, how she loved Shakespeare, would love to have been an actress, and how her three daughters were her life. One of her employers always said, "All Margaret thinks about is those three girls."

I grew up hearing her quote Shakespeare's..."To thine own self, be true......." and later in life, I asked her once what she would like on her headstone. She said to me, "You may not have liked me, but you will know who I was." She enjoyed good conversation, new ideas, having fun, reading, helping people and music.

The picture above is from the night my family took my parents to a local Italian restaurant. I knew on occasional Saturday nights, there was an accordion player who strolled the restaurant. I called to make sure he would be there this night and when I saw him in the lobby, I explained to him about my mother and her health. During our dinner, he came to our table and serenaded her for a full half hour. He took her all over the world with his music. He took her to Germany, France, Italy...anywhere she wanted to go. As I watched her listen, I saw her transform. She was anywhere but in the restaurant. She was back in her childhood with her dad as he played in a band, and she was all over the world. She was wherever the music took her. It was a sight to behold.

When we went home I asked her what the highlight of her night was. She said, "Oh, Judy, it was the music, always the music!"

Mom, you still bring tears to my eyes! I love you and how I miss you!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't even know what to say. I miss my grandma. I loved (and still do) my grandma. And I love you, Mom. xo

Judy Roo said...

I love you too sarah roo...and grandma is always with us .. in our thoughts...and in our hearts...I don't know why it always catches me off guard..but it does..I missed her a lot this morning....xo

Anonymous said...

She always made me feel like I was the most important person in thw world.

Anonymous said...

Today's entry really touches my heart. How blessed is this relationship with your mom. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Did you get my comment? I left it this morning...

Judy Roo said...

hi kara.....I have published every comment that has come in.....will you resend it please honey?

Judy Roo said...

hi anonymous...I think she made us all feel that way....

Judy Roo said...

hi esther...yes, it was a blessed relationship and I will always be grateful and I will always wish it didn't hurt so badly at times...

Adam Wright said...

I think this is a title your your news book. I can see the Title and subtitle...

Her Name was Margaret...
Motherly Wisdom Passed Down the Generations...

The book would be filled with all you learned from her and passed down to your children. I could be filled with stories from you and your sisters and all of her grandchildren. A book of all of Margaret's Wisdom.

Just an Idea.

Anonymous said...

Grandma was a remarkable woman! I love the look on her face in this picture, and I love the look on your face as you watched her. That was a really good day. I looked at Amelia the other day and thought how lucky she is that she comes from such a long line of strong women. I love grandma and I love you. Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

Wow Adam! That is a GREAT idea! You should SO do that Mom! How awesome would that be??

Adam Wright said...

Man...I had a lot of typos in my first comment. Sorry.

I think this is the title for your new book...Her Name Was Margaret
Motherly Wisdom Passed Down through the Generations...

It would be a best seller.

Your first book has touched all that have read and paged through it...this would be just as touching. A collection of stories about grandma and the lessons she taught each and everyone of us...and how those lessons have helped us raise our children.

So when do we start?

Judy Roo said...

hi adam...that would be a book worth writing......I know she touched the generations...mine..yours..and all your kids kids too...it is just the way it is....I have had her picture in my office since 2001...I think of her as my co-counselor...I expect she has helped many a client as well...albeit through me...as I said in my book "Someday...." I just get to be the messenger..

Judy Roo said...

thank you kara...grandma was a strong and remarkable woman..as I have learned about grandma's mom, jenny, I know she was a strong and remarkable woman too....it was fascinating to learn all jenny had done as a young woman..that information is in the history books I put together...I love you and I love our family..happy mother's day to you too honey...xo