Saturday, June 24, 2006

A Story

Perhaps I am starting at the end. Maybe that is how all good stories start.....at the end.

As I was going through a cupboard yesterday I found a rolled up paper. I didn't know what it was and I thought to myself, "Judy, what have you saved and stored all these years." But, I know from experience that very valuable things can be disguised as meaningless, worthless things that have been taking up space. I will never forget the beginning of my story.

Many years ago, I helped my parents move out of the home we had lived in for thirty five years. It was always and continues to be known as 210 Oak Street....the house at 210 Oak..how many times I have said that. Well, I was working in the kitchen with my mom. I was standing on the kitchen counter so I could reach the very top shelf of a cupboard to see if there was anything up there. In the old houses the metal kitchen cabinets went up to the ceiling. What better place to store things. What better place to keep treasures safe.

I found what appeared to be broken pieces of glass. They were in a little baggy I think. I thought to myself, "Should I make an executive decision and throw this away?" I said, "No, don't do that. It will only take a minute to show my mom what I had found and see if it might be important." I remember the look on her face and the movement of her body when I said, "Mom, I just found these broken pieces of glass. Do you know what they are?" She said to me, "Oh, Judy, those are from the first set of dishes I had as a child."

It made me want to cry. Not only was I touching memories of my own childhood as I helped them pack, but I got to touch memories of my mom's childhood. The broken pieces of glass were packed with loving care and moved to the next home.

So, what was it I found in my own cupboard yesterday?











I'm keeping it!

8 comments:

Adam Wright said...

That's why we keep things. This is why it is hard to throw things away. This is how Grandma talks to you today.

Nice.

Judy Roo said...

that is exactly what I said to myself adam...my mom talked to me...it was nice! seeing her handwriting was wonderful...I figured she was 69 when she gave that to me...just 6 years older than I am......

Anonymous said...

I'm crying.

Judy Roo said...

I love you sarah roo..{{{{{{{{{sarah}}}}}}}}

My of life Pictures said...

Judy the picture you see on my page is My cousin when you CLick on my cousin that is his dads website they are sikh
so that is why i have my woderful cousins on my page to help them out come and vist often as you like to i am Christian they are Sikh

Judy Roo said...

hi jenny...thanks for leaving a comment...I just showed my husband a little of your site and he directed me to a site where I can learn about sikh...my grandmother's name (my mom's mom) was jenny..I have always liked that name..

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy...I loved this post too...I'm so glad to see people like you share my reluctance to throw things away ...but then...who could throw such lovely things like that away...i still have a drawing that our grandchild presented proudly to his grandma and myself after his first day at school...we are just compelled to keep things...that is the way it is and we might just as well get used to it...there is no other way.
joe

Judy Roo said...

smiling joe...yep...there is no other way..some things just have to be kept..and I think we can tell which ones they are .. when we try to throw them away it is as if they are glued to our hand...I have little notes from our 16 year old grandson and plenty of things from our children tucked away in what I call my treasure chest..