Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Nice Story From Our Night At Bunratty Castle

Joe, Tom and I were the guests of Pat and Greta Whelan last night at the Bunratty Castle for a medieval dinner and evening of entertainment. It was a spectacular evening that was preceded by a visit to King John's Castle. This is only one post of the few I will do on this evening.

King John's Castle was wonderful. The dinner and entertainment were superb and the experience of eating with our fingers and one sharp steak knife was fun. I have pictures of the food that I will post, but tonight I will just tell a story.

Below is a picture of a little girl, who is 11 years old, and her father. They are from Nashville, Tennessee. They were our table partners. As we got to talking, we learned that the little girl had done a unit on Ireland in her Geography class at school. She had to learn the distance ,I think, from her capital to the capital of Ireland. I am so sorry if I don't have this right. I think I am remembering part of the story but not all of the story.

The little girl decided to look up how much it would cost to fly to Ireland and said to her father, "Look how cheap it is, Dad!" And, before you knew it, the dad and daughter had come to Ireland where the little girl got to have her 11th birthday. How special is that!

The evening was filled with fun, music, good food, messy fingers, talk, laughter and new friends!

I am using the picture with the permission of both the little girl and her dad.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great! Nice story.

Stacey said...

Hi Judy,
My name is Stacey, I am a good friend of Pat and Gretta Whelan. They have told me alot about you and your husband and your trip over to Ireland. It sounds like you had a wonderful night at Bunratty, I went there not long ago also and thought it was a great 'craic' (as the Irish would say) Take care Judy