Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Sounds On The Back Deck

I woke up early this morning. When I opened my eyes it was still dark. Sometimes that makes me groan silently and sometimes it gives me a little extra time to lie in bed and think about things. This morning was one of those think about things times. I guess I wanted to think about things out loud..(some people in my family know I have a habit of talking out loud to myself) so I got up in the dark and quietly slipped downstairs.

It was dark down there too. I didn't turn any lights on. I didn't want any lights on. Perhaps I wanted to be alone with my thoughts which seems easier in the dark. But, as it turns out my thoughts were interrupted when I heard a noise I wasn't familiar with. I sensed I was no longer alone with my own thoughts. I heard something on the back deck. I said to myself, "Hmmmmmm, I wonder what is making that noise?" Was it a tap tap noise? Was it a clip clop noise? I couldn't tell for sure.

I peeked up over the back of the couch and saw a raccoon pawing through the acorns. Within a minute another raccoon was there. I looked at them and I believe they looked at me. Soon they had had their fill and the two of them wandered down the steps and off into the woods. Whatever I had been thinking about was now gone and replaced by the wonder of nature and how nice it is to live where I live.

No comments: