Sunday, August 26, 2007

My Dad And The Reader's Digest


I mentioned in my last post that there was a story about my dad and the Reader's Digest. Since his birthday is coming up on September 1st, I thought I would tell this story as a way to share a little bit about what my dad is like.

As far back as I can remember my dad has loved to read stories that have heart. The tradition was that on Christmas the family would be called to gather around to listen to my dad read a story from a magazine like Ladies Home Journal, Redbook or Reader's Digest. It didn't matter if we wanted to do this or not and of course, we did. Why? Because it was tradition and it meant so much to him.

Over the years, my dad would become more emotional as he neared the end of the story and usually my sister, Linda, or I would have to finish reading it for him. That became tradition too.

I recently learned the history of my dad and The Reader's Digest. Here is the story as my dad told it to me.

I always wanted to learn. I tried to learn something new every day. In 1946, I went to business college one night a week. As part of the class, I was required to give speeches. I did well. One night, I didn't prepare in advance. I stopped on my way to class and bought a Reader's Digest and read a story for my speech that night.

The story was about a young college boy who was a football player. He wasn't good enough to be on the first team. The only time he could play was when someone was hurt. One night he told the coach that he had to go home because his dad had died. The dad and boy had often been seen walking arm in arm on campus.

When the boy got back from the funeral, he asked the coach to let him start in the game. The coach hesitated, but let him start. They won the game. The coach said, "What in the world happened to you today? You did such a good job!" The boy said, "This is the first time my dad ever saw me play football. You see, he was blind."


My dad got the top prize for the best speech that night and the above words are his words as he told me the story.

I think he must have told me this story when he was in his 80's and I believe it meant as much to him then as it did when he read it to his class in 1946. You see, he got a little choked up just remembering it and telling it to me.

I love you Dad!

And, now you know a little bit about my dad. He will be 95 on September 1st.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Grandpa! We are so lucky to have him as part of our family. What a legacy!

Anonymous said...

I love Grandpa!!