Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Joe Headlines In Estherville


On March 14 Tom, Joe and I traveled to Estherville, Iowa where our son and his family live. Our daughter-in-law, Sara Beth, teaches 6th grade in the small neighboring town of Armstrong. Sara Beth had just had her students do a unit on Ireland and asked Joe if he would come and be a guest speaker in her classroom. With smiles and maybe some initial trepidation Joe said, "Of course Sara Beth. I would love to do that." And, do that he did!

Joe stood in the front of perhaps 25 students, all of whom could not ask enough questions. Two reporters were there and the questions flew from both the children and the adults! The children wanted to know all kinds of things about Ireland and Joe fielded the questions with ease, humor and his natural charm, which I have now learned wins the hearts of young and old alike!

His presentation earned him front page status in the Estherville paper and we have yet to see what the Armstrong paper will do with the same story. I told Joe over and over how proud I was of him. He just smiled at me and said, "Judy, you would be proud of me if I said hi diddle diddle!"

I am still laughing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's impossible to know Joe and not love him. That's the truth!! Even if all he said was hi diddle diddle!!! It's true! Now he's an international celebrity!

Judy Roo said...

it sure is the truth sarah roo...we are so fortunate to have joe in our lives...

Adam Wright said...

That was a great day. Joe also made the Headlines in Ringsted and Armstrong. In Ringsted he was front page news, in Armstrong the article appeared on the back page.

Anonymous said...

glad to hear that joe is having such a good time - lovely picture - lovely site - thanks

Pat