Saturday, April 28, 2007

Nice To Be With You...All Of You...Part 2

When Joe was here one of his favorite times was going to Perkins Restaurant with my dad, age 94, and my daughter, Kara. You have to understand my Dad and his love of Perkins pancakes to appreciate this picture. I think my dad has eaten Perkins pancakes for ..... oh maybe ....... thirty years! Each time we go to Perkins, he orders the same thing...the buttermilk three with a side of bacon...four strips..not three strips..it has to be four strips, and he loves the apricot syrup. He has a ritual for eating his pancakes. You get a ball of butter with the pancakes. The entire ball of butter is saved for the last pancake and it is spread with care .. smoothly and evenly over the pancake..then he lifts the decanter of apricot syrup..and pours the syrup over the pancake...I am not saying drizzle..no..he pours the syrup generously and evenly over the pancake. He now has three beautiful layers to eat. Layer one is the pancake. Layer two is the evenly spread butter. Layer three is the layer of golden apricot syrup. By the time he is ready to take his first bite of his third pancake, everyone else at the table has been mesmerized.

Joe watched the drama of my dad eating pancakes and said, "There are just some people you enjoy watching them eat!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes Judy, it was so great to spend this time in the company of your dad and Kara and, of course yourself. I watched your dad’s pancake ritual with interest but I noticed also that a couple strips of bacon were carefully put aside on his side plate for later consumption. Yes, I watched the methodical preparation of this final pancake with interest and intrigue. Your dad is such a wonderful and interesting person that I think anything he wants to share with us should be hearth-warmly appreciated.

Joe

Judy Roo said...

thanks joe for the beautiful comment...it was so nice to spend time with you and my dad and kara..it was a really nice time and he sure thought you were a good looking guy...he has said that to you two times now!!

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmm!!!! Those look so good! Judy, maybe your dad can teach the rest of us how to really enjoy some pancakes! (smiling)...