Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sarah's Last Chemo

Three little words.

Sarah's last chemo.

I sit here and pause. I wonder how on earth do I describe what those three little words mean. How do I describe what the anticipation was like...what the being there was like....what the leaving the chemo room was like...what the drive home was like..what the night at home has been like.

We stopped on the way home and picked up some of Sarah's favorite pizza. She was hungry. She hadn't eaten much all day. She wasn't really hungry. The traffic on the way home was terrible...bumper to bumper. Tom called me on my cell phone and said bad weather was approaching. We stopped and got pizza anyway. The storm bypassed us AND we got our pizza.

Dave and Davey came to Sarah's last chemo. Davey, who is almost 7, wanted to be there. Sarah had told him she would take pictures for him. He said, "But, mom, I want to feel the room." Davey was there. I brought Pop Rocks for him. Remember those? His package of Pop Rocks was watermelon flavor. I told him that qualified them as fruit. I said it out loud. The rest of the people in our chemo pod laughed out loud. It was funny! "Gramma rules." So, I got the other packages of Pop Rocks out and gave some to the other chemo patients. Everyone had fun. We all had fun.

It was Sarah's last chemo.

But, it doesn't mean Sarah is done. Not by a long shot. It only means Sarah is done with chemo.

Sarah will meet with Dr. Zander, her oncologist, in four weeks. He will then start her on Tamoxifen. She will take that daily for five years. The good news is that it will help keep her cancer from recurring. It will have side effects however. We will find out more about that as she starts taking it. With the chemotherapy and the Tamoxifen, her recurrence rate will go from 19% down to 10% or so.

Are we home free? It doesn't feel like it. Has Sarah had her last chemo. The answer to that is a definite yes.

We will meet with Dr. Zander every three months for two years and then every six months for another few years. He will keep a close eye on her. With every month and year that pass her chance of recurrence goes down.

Will I hold my breath for several years? I will get back to you on that.

Sarah's last chemo marked the end of something. It was strange leaving the chemo room. The other patients and staff clapped. That is what happens when someone is a chemo graduate. It has significance. I said good bye to the room. Perhaps I should have said thank you. Yes, I should have.

I wish I knew why, when I write certain things, I want to cry. It is in the stillness of the moment that the feelings come. The feelings don't always have names and that makes the tears nameless. They are real just the same.

This is going to take a while. What I want to write and what I have to write are different. Sarah is feeling the same way. We talk. We both know. What should be the obvious experience is not the reality.

A lot happened today. Much of it is still living in my body and I still have to find words for it.

Sarah had her last chemo today. For that I am grateful. I don't want her to have the side effects anymore. She won't. Not from the chemo anyway.

Our new road has yet to be mapped out for us. We have lots to look forward to. Good things. Her hair will be starting to grow back almost immediately. Although, she loves being bald. She will have maybe 80% of her strength back in about four months. She will be, maybe, back to her old self in about a year. Physically. The emotional journey will be a little harder to measure.

Sarah's last chemo marks the end of this part of our journey and launches us into the next part of our journey. The story doesn't end here.

We are just starting a new chapter.

6 comments:

sarah said...

Right. It doesn't end here.

Susan said...

Thank you for sharing this very personal part of your life and being an inspiration to all who take the time to read Sarah's story. It's a human story with the love, emotions, soul that carry a person to recovery. Sarah is recovering and is living to be there for her family and others who must following a similar journey. Thank you, thank you for giving us this human story that is so true and real. My prayers continue to be with all of you.

Love, Susan

lisauk said...

What a wonderful blog for all the family and friend’s to read .. and wonder just how do we go forward on the daily process of life when one of our babies are so sick Judy.

I often have tears reading the blog Judy, and imagine me being there ….I had my grandson in hospital 2 weeks ago Judy, he’s 6.

We had a lovely week of heat sunshine and the bank holidays came and the family decided to visit the coast. .for the day, was a little cold in the water .. but , you know what children are … he loved it, we don’t get warm sea’s over here Judy ..Got home started to cough and not feeling too good ..Didn’t sleep .. was really poorly, mother took him to see the doctor, having been up all night …took one look and called an ambulance ..he couldn’t breath, hospital was unsure what it was really .. They didn’t know if it was a virus from the sea etc .. x-ray’s the lungs .. was in intensive care for 4 days Judy was so poorly massive doses of antibiotics … and told us it was an asthma attack … never had this, had the coughs n colds like most kids do. So now he has an inhaler to take daily .. been a lot better. And hopefully he’s going to grow out a this ….but goodness me ..i did worry like any mother , grandmothers do …

Give my Love to all the family an cuddles to the boys judy ..prayers are said for Sarah .. chin up … and box on …..

God bless

Diane said...

Hi Judy...

Thanks for sharing your post with me. I think you have been holding your breath for a long time now. And perhaps you will never again be able to release it all. You may always be on "alert." I would say that the tears have to do with a loss of innocence.

I will continue to pray for Sarah, for you her mom, for Dave, the boys and your whole family. It is a lot to take in, absorb, and come to terms with.

As always,

Diane

Lila said...

Hi Judy, yes I have been following, its so very touching, you are an excellent writer and it feels like we're right there with you along the way, and in thought I am I know that.

I don't know for sure if you're aware or not, but I'm also on tamoxifen, this is my 4th year of it, and by the end of 2011 I'll be able to stop taking it. So far so good here, and I didn't have full blown cancer, just some cells that were abnormal and yet they called them cancer cells in the diagnosis. They got them all in the surgical biopsy they did and it had clear margins then so no chemo or radiation for me which I was very thankful for. I had mammo's too quite often at first, now just once a year as all since then have come back very normal.

Stay strong and keep praying....God is GOOD!

Hugs, Lila

Anonymous said...

Judy, What an amazing Mom you are. Sarah, thank you so much for giving me the will to continue on, to face an unknow future, but mainly the strength you have given me.I look for words to try and tell you what you have done for me, they don't always come, but they are in my heart. God Bless You Sarah,and your Mom and children. Funny isn't it, that I feel my words are so inadaquate, but I have to let all of you know how I feel. Hugss to all of You, Bill