Thursday, June 14, 2007

Vitality

My last post had to do with three words that got my attention during a hallmark movie. Poverty of spirit. The context was realizing our dreams. I usually think of the word poverty as having to do with money. But, in the movie, the context was what keeps us from doing what we want to do? If we have a life dream, and don't know how we can possibly make it come true, the only thing that can stop us is poverty of spirit.

This morning I got a quote that goes along with this.

"Vitality shows not only in the ability to persist, but in the ability to start over." (F. Scott Fitzgerald)

I have started so many things over. I like giving myself second chances or third chances or as many chances as I need to accomplish something. I don't use the word failure. I don't mind saying, "Well, that didn't work." And, then I try something else. And, I especially like giving myself "do-overs". The truth is, sometimes we don't know what to do, so we do what we know to do and that doesn't get the job done. In time, if we keep trying we will get the job done. We might even run into the answer by accident, and that is always fun.

One day, I was watching a video with Davey. He was sitting on my lap and he had the remote to the TV. He was pushing button after button just experimenting. He is almost 4 years old now. He pushed one button and the whole screen went fuzzy. He looked up at me and said, "Oh, oh!" I suggested he give the remote to me. He kept the remote. He kept pushing buttons. The screen returned to normal. He looked at me and we both smiled and said "Wow! You got it!" and we clapped and laughed.

Nobody was scolded. Nobody felt bad. I guess I think there is never failure in learning. (By the way Sarah, this was your remote at your house) So, there you have Judy's thoughts at 6:30 AM on a Thursday morning. I am going to get another cup of coffee now.

Good morning world!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you Mom.

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of something... Josh had a do-over the other week. I had picked him up from school one day and he was in a bad mood. By the time we got to Christopher to pick him up I had discovered that it was probably best not to engage very much. But Christopher didn't know that. But by the time we got to Amelia, Christopher warned Amelia not to push Josh cuz he was in a bad mood. Well, things escalated and let's just say, it was not a good afternoon! Anyway, when I went to pick Josh up the next day, he got in the car and said "Going home from school, take 2!" He was giving himself a do-over!! I LOVED IT!! It's amazing how that little sentence can mean so much and take away so much! We ended up having a very nice afternoon!