Friday, June 11, 2010

Some People Say

Courage.

What is courage?

Some people say I have it.

Having courage, I think, is being able to act in spite of your fears.

Strength.

What is strength?

Some people say I have it.

Strength, I guess, is being able to get up each morning
and do what you have to do.

Whether you are well, or rested, or not well, or not rested.

When someone you love, has or had cancer,
and goes through chemo....

You don't get a choice.

You don't think of what you do as having
courage or strength.

You just live your life the best way you can.

And, sometimes, that means you do regular
things, like laundry or grocery shopping or going
to work like any other day.

Sometimes, it means you laugh.

Sometimes, it means you cry.

Sometimes, it means you learn all you can
about cancer and chemo.

Everything you didn't want to know.

And, then, you try and fit what you learn into your life.

It fills your every waking moment and sometimes
your dreams.

It becomes your life and it becomes what you do.

Am I afraid?

Sometimes.

Do I get tired?

Sometimes.

But, I do get a choice.

My choice is to get up every day and do what
needs to be done.

If that means I have courage and strength...

Then, yes, I do.

I guess.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Courage and strength.... yes you do.

And we are learning everything we didn't want to know....

I love you!