Saturday, June 05, 2010

Simple Things

When I was a student at the University of Minnesota I took an art education course as part of my elementary education curriculum. For those of you who don't know, I used to teach.

The instructor for that art education course was from India. He would speak softly and, when he spoke, he spoke of simplicity. I was hypnotized by his voice, his gentleness and his use of the word......simplicity. Over and over he would emphasize simplicity. I never forgot it. I can feel myself in that classroom listening to him even as I sit here forty six years later.

I have always known, somewhere inside me, that life is about the simple things. Simple things make me smile and bring me peace.

You know, I just figured something out that I have been wanting to say and didn't know exactly what it was.

Senses.....it is all about senses...that is what it is.....senses....

It is about what we see and hear and smell and taste and touch....the simple things that are always available to us. For example....

When I was shopping with my daughter, Kara, yesterday, we were in a store and all of a sudden we smelled the most wonderful fragrance. We looked for it and learned that lovely smell was coming from one of those diffusion things....the bottle of stuff that you put the reeds into? I had to find out if I could buy some and I could and I did. I am going to put it where I spend so much of my time. It will greet me every time I come to my basement to watch tv or be on my laptop.

And....

Earlier this morning my 97 year old dad called me just to talk. He said he hadn't talked to me for a while because he was at my older sister's house. Hearing his voice made me smile. He said "I love you Judy." It always sounds the same way.

And....

A little bit ago I ate my lunch. It was just a simple sandwich and a few chips and some pink lemonade. The sandwich was soft, the chips were crisp and the lemonade was tart. I tasted them all.

And....

When Sarah shaved her head because of the chemo I chose to not shave my head because I thought the boys would need someone to look regular. So, I chose to let my hair grow. Slowly, I am getting more and more hair after years of wearing it short. I touch it and wonder what it will be like to have someone brush my hair when it is long. I used to brush my mom's hair and that makes me smile just remembering it.

And....

The world, for me, is like a giant stage. There is always something to see....to look at...to capture your imagination, take you into your dreams or simply make you smile.

The other day, I got to see Jackson discover the little bench by the front door and find the doorbell. Ding dong...ding dong...ding dong...over and over. It was a sound I have heard each of the grandchildren make. Ding dong...ding dong....ding dong. It doesn't always bring a smile but there is something about watching a child discover the doorbell.

Below are some pictures of Jackson as he turns two and a lovely young deer that spent hours in our back yard yesterday.



Jackson enjoying the bench



Jackson doesn't stay long in any one place


Jackson ringing the doorbell


Somebody is pretty proud of himself


The deer looking right at me


The deer nibbling on the leaves


How pretty she looks with the sunlight shining on her

Yep, it is all about the senses and the simple things!

7 comments:

Loislane2000 said...

Ding dong... It's Lois! I love anything that makes noise or lights up and thrills children. Like the door bell! I remember both my sons enjoying it. And I let them!

They also loved playing with flashlights and locks with keys. Friends & relatives thought I was crazy sending both of those as birthday gifts... until they watched their children become enthralled with those simple items and carry them everywhere. Yes, the simple things.

I love your posts. Thank you for them. God has blessed Sarah & Kara with you. And you with them. I send your Dad a hug! I visited my 85 year old Dad last month. I can't get enough of him.!

Got to go now. I'm craving a cinnamon bun... !
love always,
Lois

Ellen said...

You write such beauty, thanks.

Ellen

Mary Pat said...

Beautiful, Judy!

Love,

Mary Pat

Anonymous said...

Judy, if I could pattern myself after anyone, it would have to be you. Anyone who reads your blog has to come away with such a peaceful feeling, and a deep down feeling of being thankful for all the "simple" things in our lives.
Judy, God Bless You, and I want Sarah to know that even tho we have never met, I sense that I do know her thru you. So you see, I am very fortunate that I have met you, and thru you, your family. Hugss from a good Friend, Bill

Sharon said...

Hi Judy,

I thought of you on March 16! Happy belated birthday!

I just read your blog! Oh my! I had no idea of what Sarah, you, and your family have been living and enduring thus far this year.
You are all in my thoughts and prayers for added strength, sleep, comfort and peace.....as well as a successful and complete, life-long recovery for Sarah!

Thanks for sharing your strength and inspiration in your blog!

sharon

Gary said...

Thanks for the insight into your life. You are going through a tough period in your life yet you are with the help of God handling it.

My prayers are with you and your family. I will check your blog from time to time to see how things are going.

regards, Gary

sarah said...

The world for me is a giant sausage.

I keep reading that!!! LOL!!

That was it!