Sunday, February 07, 2010

The Day After

(Dante's Prayer) Please click to play.

Today is Sunday, February 7, 2010. It is the day after Briana's funeral and two days after the visitation. It is also Briana's son, Jahmari's, birthday. The last two sentences take my breath away.

Today is Jahmari's 11th birthday. He didn't want to celebrate his birthday today. He didn't want to celebrate his birthday the day after his mother's funeral. I don't know what he will choose to do. His grandma and grandpa, his mom's parents, are with him.

None of us will be the same. Briana was so loved and brought such laughter, humor, understanding and compassion to her world. Even the nurses at the hospital fought over who was going to take care of her.

Below is a picture of one of Briana's most beloved nurses. Her name is Natalie. Natalie only looks like a person but she is really an angel. She was with those of us who were fortunate to be at Briana's bedside as Briana stepped through the door to her new heavenly home. In the stillness of the moment Natalie gently reached down to take Briana's pulse and then quietly listened to her heart. And, then Natalie spoke the words........

"She is in heaven now."

Natalie at the visitation

How often does a nurse come to a visitation? I don't know. She came up to me and my eyes flooded with tears and poor Natalie.......I grabbed her cheeks with my hands, held her captive in the palms of my hands, and just looked and looked at her. I could only say, "Oh, Natalie! Oh, Natalie! You came!" My heart ached with happiness! I had to pull her toward me and hug her and hug her and hug her! She was there with us all like it was meant to be. "Natalie darling, I hope you know what your coming meant to all of us! You are very special and you have a wonderful gift to give. We are so thankful for you!"

And, below is a picture of my 97 year old father, Briana's grandpa, signing the guest book at the visitation. He spoke a few words at the cemetery the following day as we stood in the cold and the snow. He said,

"Briana, it was wonderful to have your company for 36 years. We will miss you. We love you. Bye, bye. Amen."

And, then we sang the doxology. Praise God from whom all blessings flow............


My dad.....I love this picture

There is so much to write.

There is a story to tell.

Our experience over the last, what has it been now? Close to two weeks? There wasn't time to feel or understand. There was only time to do what needed to be done next.

Yes, there is a story to be told and perhaps as the pieces of the story get told others might benefit. Briana would like that!

3 comments:

Sylvia said...

Briana will be greatly missed... Jahmari and the rest of the family are in our prayers.

Judy I love that picture of your dad too... (:l:)

sarah roo said...

Jahmari went to a Super Bowl party at the Wing's house. He didn't want to celebrate his birthday. He wanted this weekend to be about his mom, and he wanted to just go a Super Bowl party. He's going to have his birthday party next Friday.

And I love Natalie, too. Please send the picture of her and me. I have her email, too.

Kara said...

There is so much to say and feel and share.... it will take a long time to process the events of the past couple of weeks. It was lovely that Natalie came to the visitation...