Saturday, February 02, 2008

Backyard Beauty On A Saturday Morning

Last weekend was a great weekend. Three of our grandchildren, Josh (17), Christopher (15) and Amelia (10) stayed with us from Friday night until Sunday afternoon. We did lots of great stuff which I will write about later. But one of the things we did, (that I think was pretty great) was go through my pantry and throw things away and organize the foods that weren't expired.


Some of the food from the pantry

Two neatly organized shelves

I have to tell you that was quite the job! We have been in our house since August of 1979 and I am a little leary about telling you that I doubt it has been seriously looked at and cleaned out since that time. That very fact, however, provided food (haha) for thought and humor!

Here is a picture of Jello with pictures of the Power Rangers on the front and each box had a Power Rangers trading card in it. Josh and Christopher pointed out that these were the original Power Rangers. Not surprisingly, the trading cards were GONE and the jello was still there. Hmmmmmmm, want to explain that Josh? (Josh was the one who really loved the Power Rangers when he was a little boy.) See what I mean about food for thought and humor?

Power Rangers Jello with NO trading cards in the boxes

We got rid of some old oatmeal, cereal and graham crackers that Tom crushed up. He and Amelia took it out to the back yard and put it under the bird feeder.

This morning, as we were sitting around enjoying the day, four deer made their way to the food. First one came, then the second and soon the third and finally the fourth. They just came and ate and wandered around the area. It seems they felt totally safe with the exception of the fourth deer that we think must have been the mama. She was wary and kept a close watch on us.

Below are two of the videos Tom was able to take through the window in our fireplace room. I took lots of pictures that I will post later.

I hope you are able to view the videos. I called Amelia right away to tell her that the deer had found the food she and grandpa had left out for them. (And, Amelia.....as much as you wanted to put the food on the back deck....this was a much better decision!!! I love you!)



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful - to have deer in your back yard! Thanks for sharing.

Adam Wright said...

One of the things I miss about growing up there is the wildlife. And to think you live in a more urbanized place than I do and I don't see much wildlife at all.

Judy Roo said...

it really is wonderful to have deer so close..they come in the back yard quite often and it never ceases to amaze me how trusting they seem........

we do have wonderful wildlife and it is special every single time the deer appear...

Anonymous said...

The kids enjoyed cleaning out your pantry! I guess it's like little ones playing with tupperware instead of toys. Who knew that 3 kids could be entertained without something electronic? Ha!

Judy Roo said...

kara..they were all excited and having fun...we really did have some good laughs...(some were well deserved at my expense)...grandma has learned her lesson and will keep a tidier pantry from now on..

thanks kids for all the help you gave me...I have gone shopping now again and was very careful about what I bought and it is really nice to go to the pantry now and know exactly what I have and where I can find it!!