Sunday, June 01, 2008

Oh Hail!! Just A Little Excitement On A Saturday Afternoon

Yesterday started out as a really beautiful summer day. It was 77 degrees, blue sky and huge wonderful white clouds. We have waited a long time here in Minnesota this year for spring to arrive and walk us into summer. Yesterday felt like the first REAL summer day to me.

I was out and about for the afternoon and about three hours after arriving home I was sitting in my basement talking to Joe in Ireland and his niece, Maria who is visiting him from London, and out of the blue I heard sirens going off.

I looked out the window and the sun was still shining, the sky was still blue and the clouds were still floating lazily in the sky. I wondered what was up and why was I hearing sirens?

Tom came to tell me that a storm was rapidly approaching our area. (It was coming right down the road I had been on three hours earlier). There was wind, rain and hail. I turned the TV on and saw that our county was in a tornado warning.

Usually you can see these things coming. Usually there is a change in the way the air feels, the sky gets green and there is an eerie and ominous feeling. Not this time! I gathered my things that I like to have with me in case of a tornado....my purse, some cash, my phone, bluetooth, phone chargers and of course my ID.

Within minutes the hail starting pounding the house. Some of the hail was an inch to an inch and a half in diameter. It lasted maybe ten minutes and when it was over the decks and yard were strewn with hail and leaves and twigs and little chunks of wood. Below are some pictures of the front and back of the house and one of the big balls of hail. I have also included a video that Tom made while it was happening.






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW JUDY!!!!!

That must of been frightening! Its one thing to know it's coming but a totally different feeling not knowing....Glad you and Tom are ok.
Hugs,
Sylvia

Anonymous said...

I got Dad's email with the video and I wondered if he had taken it (today). I called and found out, yes! Of course we had blue skies here, too. Then in a few minutes it went from beautiful to raining hail. Lasted a few mintues and then it was gone. Our hail was little, though. And the boys liked playing in it once it was over. What a day! Or, what a span of minutes!

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy!
We got the hail too.
I have to tell you, I've never been more afraid of a storm than when my 2 1/2 year old wanted to press his hands and face against the glass to get a better look at the hail slamming against the window. Needless to say, I pulled him away as quickly as I could without scaring him!

Adam Wright said...

I heck of a storm. It's been a long while since I've been in a storm like that. I'[m glad everyone is okay.

Anonymous said...

I was driving home from work when the hail hit. It came down hard enough that I pulled off to theside of the highway for a while. Luckily I wasn't like a few other cars that ended up in the ditch.

Anonymous said...

Judy,

I just now got a chance to look at your blog. The hailstorm description and video was most interesting. It reminds us that in God's world things can change on a dime, and we must accept what nature brings to us.

Nature will always do what she's going to do; and try as we may, we just can't stop it.

There was actually something very peaceful about watching the hail come down in Tom's video clip. I hope you didn't have too much clean up afterwards.

I also enjoyed reading about your mother's day...beautiful

Love, Susan