Sunday, March 02, 2008

My Dad And Food

This is the most recent picture I have of my Dad. It is from Christmas 2007

You have to understand my dad and food. I don't know what it is or exactly how he does it, but he can make food sound better and look better than anyone I know. In fact, when my friend Joe visited last year, he and my daughter, Kara, and I went out to lunch with my dad. Joe said on the way home, "There are just some people you enjoy watching them eat!" And, Joe was right.

Ever since I was a child I would watch my dad get his plate ready to eat. By the time he was ready to take his first bite, the rest of us were halfway done with our food. At that point, all I wanted was to take a taste of his food. And, I did! Was it as good as it looked? What is your guess?

I can hear a resounding "YES!"

Well, believe it or not, what I just wrote was not the point of this post at all. Go ahead, laugh! You know, one thought does lead to another, and if you hang around long enough, eventually I will get around to my original thought.

Which was................

I had a nice talk with my dad yesterday. He called and we ended up talking for about 45 minutes. During the course of the conversation he told me he had just finished his lunch. I asked him, "What did you have for lunch?" Now, we are getting to the point of this post.

He said, "Well, I had a burrito." This is never enough information when you ask my dad what he has eaten. Never!

He went on to say, "I put it in the microwave for 1 minute and 15 seconds. Then, I took it out and unwrapped it. Then, I put it on my plate. Then, I put butter on it. Then, I put sour cream on it. Then, I put salsa on it. Then, I put grated cheese on it."

I said, "Are you going to have your arteries checked?" He laughed and said, "That's the way I like it." I laughed and said, "Well, at 95 years old I think you can do exactly as you want."

He laughed. I laughed. We laughed. Then, he told me how he learned to fix a burrito this way. You see, the story is never really over.

It makes you want to watch him fix that plain old burrito and turn it into a delicious work of art.

I bet even if you didn't like burritos you would want to take just one little bite.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's true. He has a special way of making food look and taste better. Gotta love the butter. What? No salt? I love you Grandpa!

Judy Roo said...

that was funny sarah roo..I forgot about the salt...we all know he adds salt to just about everything ...including pizza!!