Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Loving What You Do

I read an article today in my SparkPeople site (the online site I am using for my weight loss - change of lifestyle eating program, http://www.sparkpeople.com/). It was about loving what you do, feeling satisfied with what you do and how lucky some people are to have a job that they love to do. The article referenced sports as an example.

But, it went on to talk about how we can love what we need to do as well as love what we like to do. A lot of things fall into the first category...the things we need to do.

The article listed several ingredients that make doing what we need to do (the ones we don't especially enjoy) enjoyable and satisfying.

They are.............attentiveness to what we are doing....using our skills and talents....and using our creativity and imagination.

The author's example had to do with how to get back into exercise and how he ended up finding out that he loved to climb mountains and how it provided better exercise than going to his workout club and doing the stairmaster. He needed to be attentive, skillful and creative to keep his balance and not fall off the mountain.

The example that came to my mind was how to get the housework done (like cleaning the tub) when I had three little children within 18 months of each other vying for my attention. So, when it came time to do things, I made up little songs that made my work fun, entertained them and hopefully showed them that doing things we have to do can be enjoyable.....and the tub got cleaned to the song........

This is the way we clean the tub, clean the tub, clean the tub....this is the way we clean the tub...so early in the morning!

Can't you just smell the Comet and see three happy little faces as they watch their mom cleaning the tub? (She, of course, has a smile on her face too)

Not exactly climbing mountains is it? But, maybe it is the same thing. Sometimes, having to do things we don't want to do is like trying to either climb or move a mountain. I think the same principles apply.

Sometimes, climbing any kind of mountain is as much a mental game as a physical exercise. I, for one like to make what I have to do fun and enjoyable.

After all, this is the only day I know I have and I want to enjoy it no matter what I have to do!

Postscript....I am in my fifth week now of my new eating program and I have lost 9.2 lbs. I am right on target for losing between one and two pounds a week. I feel good, continue to be motivated and am using all the ingredients I have talked about in this post to make this journey fun and enjoyable, because it will be for life. I am attentive, using my good skills of thinking through things when I go to the grocery store and am being creative with eating some new and different foods.

Picture of me on February 5, 2008

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Judy.... you look great!

Anonymous said...

You're so pretty.

Rose said...

Wow!!! you look great , think I should follow your example. With all the stress of moving again I have been snacking. I do so agree you should love what you do, I had Rosanna two days this week, hard work keeping her occupied but good to have her , I had taught her to knit over Christmas and now she is doing purl stitches too . Hope all is well with you kind regards Rose x x