Thursday, October 13, 2011

Tom's Surgery Update

Tom's back surgery went really well. Dr. Kim got the piece of disc removed and now we need to see what the nerve wants to do. She couldn't tell us that. She said ... "First, the nerve needs to heal and then we will see what happens. Recovery could mean weeks to months." What I think that means is we won't know for a while whether or not the foot will change and to what degree. There is no noticeable difference yet in how high he can raise the toes on his left foot. He only has occasional pain in his left calf. He is still limping when he walks. His mood is good and I think he is actually enjoying a part of letting others take care of him.

It is easy to want an instant result and I don't think that is in the cards. I asked if we could have a referral to a physical therapist and the answer to that is, "Yes." We were both pleased with that because we had heard not all surgeons will make that referral.

Tom is home. From the time we left home on Tuesday at 8:00 a.m. and when I brought him home at approximately 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday he had had back surgery. 24 hours....from check in to check out!

Tom will be a patient of mine for up to the next three weeks. I am his nurse now and so far he hasn't fired me : ) I pretty much try to have all his needs met that he doesn't even know he needs before he knows he needs anything at all. Raise your hand if you followed that last sentence.

I have posted three pictures since so many of you have emailed or called to check in and see how he is doing. We are taking things a day at a time and honoring his need to rest and eat well and walk a little and talk a little. It is nice to take care of him and have him be so appreciative. I think there is something to one's attitude and one's healing.


Tom being wheeled away to surgery


Tom on drugs....he was happy and fun...I think he felt no pain

Tom at home recovering...notice his side table, bed tray and bed desk

The adjustable bed is the one I got when Sarah had cancer so she could recover as easily as possible. It is working perfectly for Tom as well.

You know, life is good. Yesterday, I asked Tom how he was feeling about everything. He said, "The whole experience has been ideal. We have good doctors who got us in for appointments immediately and Dr. Kim, the neurosurgeon rearranged her schedule to fit us in for surgery right away. We are really lucky."

In our new office building there is a physical therapy office on the top floor. I checked to see if they take Medicare and they do. It seems we should be able to have Tom do his PT right in our own building.

All in all, the surgery and the recovery are good. All of your thoughts, love, caring and prayers meant and continue to mean a lot. Recovery comes in stages. Right now we couldn't be more pleased or more optimistic.

Thanks everybody........

Love, Judy

7 comments:

sarah said...

So funny. Dad looks just like himself in his bed with his computer. :) It was nice to be at the hospital, too. To see him before he went in and when he got out of surgery. He might *say* he doesn't have pain, but I don't think it'll hurt to give him a little bit of drugs. :) Oh! Did I say that? You're a good nurse, Mom. He's lucky to have you. We all are!

Judy Roo said...

sarah...he does doesn't he!! about giving him drugs..yep...he is fun on drugs..some might even accuse us of having a party in his room..and thanks honey...I love you!

Sylvia said...

Thanks be to God! Now praying for a speedy recovery. Judy I'm sure you're an awesome nurse and he's a good patient! Please give tom my best and let him know we're parying for him...
BUG HUGS,
Sylvia

Anonymous said...

Judy, Sarah hit the nail on the head....we are all fortunate to have you in our lives. Good Luck Tom, and God Bless each and everyone of you, hugss Bill

Jan said...

BRAVO!!!! I really do think we live in a place where medical is above average. Love and kisses.

Jan

Susan said...

Judy,

I read your blog and was so shocked to hear all you've been going through lately. You have such a strong faith to carry you through. Tom looks like he's in excellent hands. He also looks very healthy for someone who has gone through what he has. My prayers are with all of you. I will pray for Tom's speedy and complete recovery.

Love, Susan

lisauk said...

Goodness me Judy ..You're made of some good stuff Lady..

Things have come to try your patience Judy, you must have said some powerful prayers this last 2 years … God bless, Stay strong.

Hope it all turns out ok Judy and hope ya Dads feeling better .. and of course all the family too