Friday, October 14, 2011

How To Enjoy Recovery From Surgery

I am finding being the nurse at home is multi-dimensional. I have temporarily taken over the things Tom used to do. I cook, tidy things up, converse, so Tom has some company, bring things to Tom that he needs, protect his environment by removing the phone from the bedroom so it won't wake him, change the dressing on his incision, make sure he has soft, yet enough, light to work by, go up and down the stairs multiple times during the day, which is teaching me to stop and think before I leave the floor I am on and all this is good.

You see, we live in a two story home with a mostly finished basement. My computer is two floors down from where Tom is. You may wonder how we stay in touch. That was a simple problem to solve. He calls me on his cell phone. It works really well. I also check on him to see if he is sleeping and if all is well. We have worked out a system that feels mutually respectful.

I know that the energy in the house is important. Good energy can't help but promote healing and part of good energy is humor. Humor heals.

Below is a video of gentle humor from this morning. Thanks Tom for being a good sport!


6 comments:

Life Is Good said...

I want to be sick at your house Judy lol.

Life Is Good said...

I want to be sick at your house Judy lol.

Life Is Good said...

I want to be sick at your house Judy lol.

Kathleen said...

It seems as if Tom is recovering in a wonderful environment--with Judy, comfy pillows in his own home, waffles for breakfast---very nice! Way better than a hospital room. And he still has his warm smile...Thanks for the posts and the video.

Anonymous said...

senceTom, I hope you don't plan on making a habit of this. You are a very luck man, to have a person like Judy in your life. Prayers for a speedy recovery, JUDY, with the treatment Toms getting, he may try to stretch this out (joshing with you Tom) Hugss JUDY, Bill

Lynda said...

Hi Judy:

I will put Tom in my prayers and I hope that he has a full recovery.

It's great to know Tom is recuperating at home and that you are looking after him. Please take care of yourself so you don't get run down.

Hugs Lynda