Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Welcome To My World Of Training

I am sitting in my recliner aware of my aching feet. These feet have taken me, step by step, across 8.26 miles this morning. I am proud. I am happy. I went the distance. I didn't know if I could do it. And, I did do it. I am proud of myself.

I have been training for the last six weeks for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure on August 19, 20 and 21st. The 3-Day for the Cure is a, 60 miles in 3 days, walk to raise funds for cancer research.

Thousands of women and men do this walk because their lives have been touched by cancer. This is one way they can give back to all those who walked before them and hopefully give to those whose lives will be touched by cancer in the future.

My life was touched by cancer. I understand the need to give back. When my daughter, Sarah, was diagnosed with breast cancer the day before her 42nd birthday I knew next to nothing about cancer. Now, I know more than I ever wanted to know about cancer.

We lost the year 2010 in the blur of her diagnosis, surgery, chemo treatments and follow-up appointments. Sarah is free of cancer now but we are not free from the effects of the last year. Cancer changes you.

Here is a picture of Sarah and me on her one year cancer free celebration cruise in March of 2011. She looks wonderful and is doing great!



I did everything with Sarah. I went to every appointment. I turned my front room into her recovery room. I still go to every follow-up appointment with Sarah. And, together, Sarah and I, with our friends, will be walking in the 3-Day for the Cure.

This is a huge commitment of time, energy, clothes, shoes and money. Each walker must raise $2,300.00 to do the walk.

I wanted to start sharing my training with people. I have never done anything like this before. I have not been a regular exerciser in my life. I am literally going from my recliner to the treadmill and/or the pavement overnight. Having people ask me how many miles I walked on any given day keeps me motivated. Having people say encouraging words to me makes me feel like I am not doing this alone. Sharing the victory of more and more miles walked as I train makes me feel like an athlete.

I smiled as I wrote that last sentence. God knows that the word athlete has never fallen into a paragraph used to describe me. But, at age 68, who knows! I guess there is still time to be known as an athlete.

So, welcome to my world....a new world for me.

I have learned they make spandex workout wear in my size. That alone is a little scary. I have learned about moisture wicking sports bras, underwear, shirts, shorts, capris, and did you know that there are a multitude of athletic shoes that a person has to learn about and try to see which kind works the best for your foot?

I am getting educated. I am training. I am walking. I am learning new things about myself. I am going to keep new posts coming on this blog because I need to share this incredible decision I have made to do this walk.

I am also going to include my personal page on the Susan G. Komen website so anyone who wants to make a financial donation will be able to do that. I am almost halfway to my goal of $2,300.00. You can also see the progress that is being made toward reaching that goal.

http://www.the3day.org/site/TR/2011/TwinCitiesEvent2011?px=5787663&pg=personal&fr_id=1626

Today was my biggest training day yet. I will walk six miles tomorrow, five miles another day, yet to be determined, and on Sunday, Mother's Day, I will be walking three miles at the Mall of America in the Race for the Cure Cancer walk.

Every time I walk I close my eyes and say, "I can do this". My daughter is alive. She is alive because somebody walked before she was diagnosed. Thank you, and I have made a decision and a promise to walk for others.

Please check back in to see how I am doing. Please give me words of encouragement. They mean so much!

And, if just 120 people donate $10.00 I will reach my fundraising goal. If 60 people donate $20.00 I will reach my fundraising goal. Breaking it down like that makes it seem possible.

And, now I am off to work.

Hugs,
Judy

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you for doing this walk. Although I can't physically do something like this, I can do it in my mind and heart. Know that there are many who will be with you in spirit.
Montana

sarah said...

I love you Mom. We are doing this! And you are doing GREAT! You really are going from your recliner to walking many, many, many miles. Remember when 3 miles seemed daunting? Now, 3 miles is a light day! And we're doing it!! Together. I love you.

Laura and Anna said...

You Go Girls!

WOW!! What a fantastic story of hope and empowerment, healing and grace.

We are just so grateful for every day , aren't we Judy..... a blessing from God. And it sure seems like you are living yours fully!!!! I'll be praying for sunshine and blue skies for you all.

May the road rise up to meet you....

Hugs and love,
Laura and Anna Morrison

Judy Roo said...

thank you montana...I know you are with me, and with sarah, as much as you possibly can be....

this dreaded disease has touched your life too...and thank God you are doing well.....

I feel your blessing and I will walk for you and yours too...

I CAN do this!

Judy Roo said...

I love you too sarah...and it really is an amazing phenomonon to think, much less say, that three miles is an easy day...

we have done this together from the beginning and we will reach the finish line in august...

I wouldn't have it any other way honey!

Judy Roo said...

laura and anna....your words are always music to my ears...

we are grateful for every day laura and I keep saying, "I get to do this! I get to walk. So many don't"...

the road will rise up to meet us and the sun will shine upon our backs...

we are doing this....one step at a time...

thank you for your support and belief in me!

joe said...

both you and sarah are doing a great job judy..i wish you nothing but the best of luck in your endeavour..i'm proud of you both.
joe.

Diane said...

Dear Judy...

I seem to read your blogs in a group! For whatever reason that is how it happens time and time again. I think I just know that the site will frustrate me, because no matter what I do or how hard I try, it will not accept my comments.

So I have just been "catching up" now. And I have smiled and nodded and cried my way through. Some of what you have written is so touching, some mirrors feelings I have experienced and yet not dealt with, and some just makes me feel Sarah close again. Thank you for sharing.

I continue to pray for you, for Sarah, for your whole family! Large things affect a whole family...large things like cancer or death or loss of any kind. I know.

Blessings to you from SC,

And...love...

~Diane

Maryzona said...

Your just downright amazing Judy Wright

Anonymous said...

JUDY, God Bless You, and may the wind always be at your back, and warm sunshine upon your face, hugsssss Bill