Friday, May 13, 2011

Training Post # 4 .. 3-Day for the Cure

I wish I had a picture to put up but I don't. This week has been the hardest training week yet.

The total number of miles I must walk this week is 24. 24 miles.....24 miles....So far I have walked 19 miles. I have 5 more miles to walk on Sunday.

Each week I try and push myself a little more.

Thursday, I went to Sarah's house so we could walk 10 miles together. The hope was to walk 10 miles outside. It was raining and we had some time constraints, so we were only able to walk 4.2 miles outside.

This is not a small matter. It was the first time I have walked outside because it has been so cold out. So, the new things I did on Thursday were...

1. Walked outside on different surfaces
2. Walked at a faster pace, some of the time, because Sarah just walks faster
3. Walked up and down hills which is different than walking on a treadmill

When we couldn't walk anymore outside because it was raining, we drove to the local Y in Sarah's neck of the woods.

There I pushed myself a little more by increasing my pace. I did a little time at 2.9 mph which was new for me.

When I left Sarah's I still had 3 miles to walk at my Y. I continued to push myself and do the first 2 miles at 2.9 mph and then cut it back to 2.7.

I was so proud of myself. I walked ten miles total that day, walked up and down hills, walked faster more consistently and kept my good humor to boot. Lots to be said for keeping one's good humor : )

Tonight, after walking 6 miles today at my Y, my feet hurt and I am glad to just be able to sit and relax.

You know though, I am reminded in so many different ways, that no matter what my physical push is, no matter what aches or pains I feel, there is a truth.......and that truth never changes........

I get to do this.......I get to train........I get to walk.........I get to earn funds.......I get to push myself harder than I have ever pushed myself physically...I get to do this....

So many people don't get to do this.....their "get to" was snuffed out. All I get is tired and my feet hurt and I take a minute to straighten up when I get up from sitting down...but that is no big deal. No.........I get to do this!

A couple of days ago, I was at a 4-way stop intersection in my neighborhood. It was my turn to go. And, not one, but two cars sped through their stop sign. If I hadn't been watching closely I could have been hit twice.

Know what my first thought was?

I thought if I had been hit, how would that affect my training?

Would I be able to walk in August?

Yes, I get to do this! I want to get to do this!

I look in the mirror and see a person I haven't met before. Oh, make no mistake, she still has my body. But, her thinking and commitment to "walking the talk" and "talking the walk" is ever present.

When I walk on the treadmill, I still close my eyes when I feel tired and my feet hurt, and I just keep saying, "You can do this. I am so proud of you. Just keep going....left, right, left, right." And, I do.

And, when the end of the walk for that day is done, I smile.

I always smile. Because I did it.

I "got" to do it.

I still need financial donations to reach my $2300.00 goal. If anyone is interested and willing to make a financial donation, please click on the link below. You can check my progress and count yourselves as among the people who help lift my feet when they are tired.

http://http://www.the3day.org/site/TRC/2011/TwinCitiesEvent2011?pg=peditor&fr_id=1626&px=5787663

Thank you! Each and every one of you is important to me! Together, maybe we can make a small impact on a huge disease.

Hugs,
Judy

5 comments:

sarah said...

You've done a great job so far. And I know you'll do the training and we'll do the walk and be better for it. Walking outside with you, in the drizzle, was the best training day, yet! I'll try to send you a picture so you can post it.

I love you! Thank you for doing this with me. Yes, it's a "get to".

Judy Roo said...

I love you sarah....and I am so happy and proud to be doing this with you...

it was fun to walk in the rain...we made it fun...we talked and laughed and kidded around and negotiated our speed....

we did a big day together...you and me...and there are many more big and bigger days to come...

we will do it...we will train and we will walk...together...

we "get" to do this...

I can't even imagine what it would be like if I wasn't doing this with you...can't even imagine...

we have done this cancer thing together from the beginning and we are going to keep doing it together...

we "get" to!

gabi said...

I am proud what you are able to achieve for such a good cause . keep up the good work ... gabi

Esther said...

Way to go Judy. I have no doubt you will reach your goal to walk the 3-day. Not only will you walk it, it will be the best three days of your life.

Anonymous said...

GOD BLESS YOU, HUGSSSSSSS Bill