Monday, May 09, 2011

Training Post # 3...Videos From The Walk

I can only say what an incredible experience it was to walk in the Race for the Cure on Mother's Day.

I can only tell you that the spirit of Sunday's event was overwhelming.

I can only imagine what walking the 3-Day for the Cure in August will be like.

And, I can do my best to communicate what it was like to walk past the many supporters that came out and stood and waved and cheered all of us on.

I made eye contact with many of those people. Strangers. I had never seen them before and I doubt I will ever see them again. But, there was something about that moment when our eyes met and we exchanged smiles. They would say things like, "Keep walking!" "You can do this!" "Thank you!"

In those brief encounters between strangers a common purpose was felt. And, then we were not strangers at all. We became one. A lone man, sitting on a cement retaining wall, smiled as I passed, leaned toward me and said, "Happy Mother's Day!"

I am putting on a series of videos of the walk. I want to share the sound and as much of the atmosphere as I can.

I was so inspired by the day! I knew my decision to walk the 3-Day in August was the right decision. It's funny, but I felt a sense of quiet calm and confidence that my training will be ok somehow. I will make it. I will make it step by step. If my feet are moving, eventually a mile will be walked. That will only leave 59 more to go. And, so on and so on and so on!















I hope you enjoyed the videos of the Race for the Cure.

Because every walker needs to earn $2300.00 in fundraising if you are willing to consider making a donation in support of my walking, you can go to the Susan G. Komen website by clicking on the link below. Every donation helps me reach my goal. Check my progress! Thank you!

http://http://www.the3day.org/site/TRC/2011/TwinCitiesEvent2011?pg=peditor&fr_id=1626&px=5787663

5 comments:

Life Is Good said...

Great post and great videos Judy. I feel the yellow trash bins along the way in one of your videos are symbolic. To me they give the message “lets trash cancer”. You are all doing a great job towards the elimination of this dreaded disease and I am so proud of all of you.

Life Is Good said...

Great post and great videos Judy. I feel the pink trash bins along the way in one of your videos are symbolic. To me they give the message “let’s trash cancer”. You are all doing a great job working towards the cure of this dreaded disease and I am so proud of all of you.
Joe.

Sharon said...

Judy,

Thanks for sharing your video and your words.

We saw all you walkers on our way to church Sunday. I knew you and Sarah were somewhere in the pack!!!

Both of you stayed in my thoughts throughout the day!!

You, Sarah and your families are always in my prayers!
love you,
sharon

Kimmie said...

THAT'S SO WONDERFUL!!!

I'm doing a walk on Saturday!
Five miles. The last mile is up "Grand Dad's Bluff" ... straight up!

I MUST remember to take my camera!!
That was fantastic Judy!!!
Thank you!!!

lisauk said...

Ohhhh Judy … The tears were flowing when I was watching it .. goodness me .. so emotional.

We have the same over here Judy. Race for life. It is for the local hospice to which we have where I live …

Hope you raise lots of money Judy … God bless … lisauk