Sunday, May 08, 2011

Training Post # 2 Race for the Cure Mother's Day...Slideshow at Bottom


Yes, it was mother's day today, 2011. Mother's day, 2010, was lost. I can't remember where we were in the order of Sarah's cancer schedule, but I do know not one of us was thinking about celebrating mother's day. Life, as we had known it, had gone on hold.

Today was a celebration of survivorship. Today was a day to give back. Today was a day to walk amongst more than 55,000 cancer survivors and co-survivors.

Today was the Race for the Cure, a three mile walk at the Mall of America, that raised millions of dollars in funds for cancer research.

Why is this important for my training post?

It was the first time I have walked on something other than a treadmill in my training. I did well. I learned some things. I learned I can do this. I learned when you walk and come upon supporters standing on the side of the road banging pots and pans and waving and shouting their support, you forget about your feet. You forget about being tired. You lose touch with your body. All you see and hear is a throng of people that is sharing their energy with you. You can go on. You know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you can walk as much and as long as you have to.

Today, I got faith. Today, I got hope. Today, I got strength. Today, I got power. Not bad for a day's walk!

Today was the beginning of the 3-Day for the Cure in a sense. It was internal.

Today was about the Race for the Cure. Yes, it was.

But, more than that, today was about my daughter. I will walk for her. I will walk for so many others who were never given the chance to walk. We filled out a pink sheet, that on one side said, "In celebration of....," and on the other side said, "In memory of....". Yes, some don't get the option to walk. Sarah and I do.

I hope you enjoy the short slideshow I made from some of the pictures from today. The slideshow appears at the bottom of this post.

And, if anyone is willing and able to make a financial donation, it will be greatly appreciated. Each walker must earn $2300.00 to do the walk. You will find the link to my personal page on the Susan G. Komen site down below. You can donate there and you can check my progress as well.It is not for me, it is in support of me.

At the survivor's ceremeony, following the walk today, there was a woman who was a 65 year survivor. May God grant, if anyone is impacted by this dreaded disease called cancer, that they live a long and healthy life, albeit a new life. Life is never the same after cancer. My feet were sore after walking, but tonight they are fine. I am surprised at how well the training I have done is preparing me for the 3-Day for the Cure in August.

I am happy. I am proud. I am content. I am dedicated. I will walk for those who could not or cannot walk. I have never felt anything quite like what I experienced today. Who knows, I might just be an athlete in the making. What I do know, is the experience and memory of today, did a whole lot for my training. I hope you enjoy the slideshow!

http://www.the3day.org/site/TR/2011/TwinCitiesEvent2011?px=5787663&pg=personal&fr_id=1626



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

JUDY, GOD BLESS YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU, if it was possible I would join You and Sarah, but I have in my own way, huggggs, luv you girls

Anonymous said...

JUDY, GOD BLESS YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU, if it was possible I would join You and Sarah, but I have in my own way, huggggs, luv you girls

sarah said...

Last year Mother's Day was 2 days after my second (and worst) chemo. We did "Sleep In" for the Cure and lots of people joined my team. Or maybe it was my third chemo? I remember that Alyssa started the Monday after Mother's Day.

This year is better. This year we are DOING IT! And we're doing it for so many others, too. It's bigger than we are.

I love you Mom and I'm so glad you are doing this with me. And I'm so proud of you for walking on the road and not on a treadmill!

We'll get there. Definitely. Together.

I love you, Mom.

Happy Mother's Day.

Lila said...

Hello Judy,

I loved the blog post and pics, its a wonderful thing that you're doing in support of Sarah.

Hard work, you are really motivated to be able to find time for all the training and then the actual events.

I for one am proud of you!! Keep up the good work, hugs, Lila

lisauk said...

Hiya Judy...2 beautiful women...You have done a wonderful thing for all cancer sufferers …

God bless u both.

lisauk

Susan said...

Oh my, Judy, yours and Sarah's time is almost here. You will do this and God will give you the wings on your feet when you are feeling too tired to go on. There are few words that I can say to express how much this means to every woman who has been affected by breast cancer whether it be directly or through a loved one. You are touching them all. Thank you for your courage and your insight. And thank you for sharing your inspirational blog. It's so beautiful! I love the music. What can I say...you are one very special woman, touching so many live. Love, Susan