Sunday, February 20, 2011

One Step At A Time


I went to an introductory meeting for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk for the Cure last Thursday night with my daughter, Sarah.

I was uncharacteristically quiet during the meeting and when the request to sign up was made, I said a quiet, "No."

When the second request to sign up was made, I again said a quiet, "No."

The truth is I was filled with so much emotion. I had heard stories and saw and felt such courage and determination to LIVE and to HELP and to GIVE.

I knew I wanted to be a part of this powerful community and do something. I just had to take me and my incredible emotions home and be with myself for a night.

I knew I would sign up. I knew I couldn't not sign up.

I have done everything with Sarah on this cancer journey. I have been with her from beginning to end.

How could I not do the walk?

I will walk for Sarah.

I will walk with Sarah.

I will walk for those who cannot walk.

I will walk for those that came before me.

I will walk for those that come after me.

It is one thing I can do.

I can walk.

I can walk 60 miles in 3 days.

I can do this....

One step at a time!

4 comments:

Patti said...

You really are a wonderful lady Judy.. Your daughter should be very proud of you. Patti

sarah roo said...

I am!

Jane said...

What a wonderful thing!!!

You are in my thoughts and prayers…

Jane

June Trottier said...

Judy, one step at a time, there will be no faller here, only strength and good will. Go! girl Go! Hugs to both of you. June