Monday, October 11, 2010

It Makes You Think

(Gershwin's Lullaby) Click to play.

Sarah said something to me yesterday.

She said, "Oh, I keep forgetting to tell you something."

I said, "What?"

She said, "What day was I supposed to be born?" (She was born early on February 23)

I said, "You were supposed to be born on March 12."

She said, "March 12 was the day of my surgery! I was reborn on March 12!"

I smiled and said, "Yes, you were!"

You know, I think that is exactly what it felt like the the night of her surgery. I remember waiting in the family lounge the night of her bilateral mastectomy. I remember seeing Dr. Bretzke come toward us to tell us how surgery had gone, and whether or not they had gotten all the cancer out, and if the nodes were clear.

I remember Dr. Bretzke's words. We got everything. We took two nodes. Both were clear.

She might just as well have handed my newborn daughter to me.

March 12, 1968.

March 12, 2010.

Both days I was handed my beautiful daughter.

4 comments:

sarah said...

Nice. I love you.

Judy Roo said...

I love you too, sarah.

Kara said...

I remember that mom. You said something of the sort at that moment.

Jo Lodge said...

Awwwwwww that has really touched me. I am so pleased all is going well now xx