Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Powerful Message From Sarah

(I Am But A Small Voice) Please click to play.

When you are finished reading this post, please play the song. Or, play it as you go. It doesn't matter. Just play it. Sarah has written a powerful message.



And, THIS is one of the many reasons I love my daughter!!!!!!

What is posted here is Sarah's response to an article she read in Better Homes and Gardens magazine. I encouraged her to send this letter to the editor. If even one woman's life can be saved because of reading this, then it will be successful!

From here on what you read will be Sarah's words.

_________________________________________________________________________________

My friend Lynn (also a breast cancer survivor) told me about this article in the October issue of Better Homes and Gardens. This is a copy of the Letter to the Editor that I sent.

Sarah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Gayle,

In response to your article Testing, testing, in your October 2010 issue, I have some concerns. I realize the article was simply restating what has already been published, and was trying to show both sides of this issue. However, women’s lives are at stake.

Since you published this article, I would have appreciated having different quotes highlighted. For example: “In terms of cost, availability, and accuracy, mammography is among the best tools for detecting breast cancer.” And “…In both cases, the lifesaving benefits of screening outweigh any potential harms.”

And I have a question: You printed that the task force looked at the NUMBERS and concluded that mammograms deliver more minuses than pluses? Did I read that right?

So if 1903 of my 40-year-old friends and I went in for mammograms, and I was the only one that had cancer, the task force concluded that routine mammograms aren’t worth it? Not enough of a reason to screen us all? Saving my life is not reason enough to screen the rest?

WHO IS ON THIS TASK FORCE?

Any cancer survivors?

Anyone who’s a co-survivor?

Anyone who has lost someone to cancer?

Probably not.

They looked at the NUMBERS? How about looking at the faces of the women whose lives have been saved because of routine mammograms and self breast exams? Don’t forget to look at the faces of their families, too. Especially their children. Because these are the faces who may have lost their lives, or loved ones, had they followed your guidelines.

Numbers? Really?

I was diagnosed when I was 41. Because of a routine mammogram. I had 2 small tumors in my right breast. They could not be felt. Even when the doctors knew where they were. I was diagnosed at Stage IA.

I did not have any risk factors. What if I had waited until I was 50? And then thought to myself, if I can wait until I’m 50, and I don’t have to go every year, I can wait until I’m 51.

Well now, I probably would have felt something by then. Hah! Except that you also discourage self breast exams. I wonder how advanced my cancer would have become if I had followed your guidelines? When would I have been diagnosed? And how?

I shudder to think about it.

The numbers just didn’t add up?

Let me give you MY numbers. 41. 2. 3. 6. 4. 1.I was 41 when I had that fateful routine mammogram.

They found 2 tumors.

I have 3 boys.

They were 6, 4 and 1 when I was diagnosed.

And those numbers add up to routine mammograms every year after 40 being WORTH IT.

For my children.

For my sister.

For my mother.

For my friends.

And Gayle, for you, too.

Please take this into consideration the next time you publish an article about breast cancer. Women read your magazine. We could use your help in advocating for our health.

Sincerely,

Sarah

Breast cancer survivor

10 comments:

Montana said...

Hello, Judy

Thank you for sharing your blog with me. I've been reading what you and your daughter have posted about her journey. A journey I know very well for as you know I've been on a journey of my own since January.

My congratulations and heartfelt thank you to your daughter for the letter she wrote.

My children were 35, 38, 39, and 40when I was diagnosed. One day after I'd been home from the hospital for about a week, I was taking a shower when everything came crashing down on me ..... the blood clot surgery, the diagnosis of breast cancer, the mastectomy, the death of a dear friend's daughter.

Deep sobs shook my body and I heard myself screaming "No! No! No!" over and over again. No! this disease will not rule my life. No! I will not give up. No! I refuse to let cancer overshadow everyone in my life. No! I will not quit fighting.

As of now, I do not have to see my oncologist until the end of November. My CA 27 test went from 68 in August to 33.5 in September. I do not need radiation for which I am very thankful.

Next week I will have blood drawn for the CA 27 test. I am now off coumadin and the cardiologist said he will see me in one year.

On August 31 I began taking Arimidex and will continue taking it for 5 years.I have learned how vulnerable I am.

I have learned terminology I never knew existed. I have learned first hand what side effects of chemotherapy are like. I've learned how much people other than my family care about me.

Because of how much my spirits were lifted when given a "cuddle" blanket made for me, I've launched the Countrywide Cuddle Blanket program.

Anyone who chooses to can either sew, knit, crochet or buy a blanket ..... lap robe size (36" x 45") ... and give it to their local chemo/radiation center.

A note can be put with each blanket explaining it is the patient's to keep and has been donated by someone who cares about others.

With God's help and the continued support of my family and friends, I know I will be able to find the energy and strength to do all the things I have in mind, such as becoming a volunteer at the local cancer outreach center that just opened. I hope to be able to also take part in the Road to Recovery program, which I learned about through the American Cancer Society.

Take care and God bless you and yours.

Hugs,
Montana

Fawn said...

Wow, you should be very proud of your daughter – she writes beautifully.

I have thought for some time – she should publish her caring bridge.

She was able to share everything in a timely fashion and I think it could be a helpful tool for those who will still face breast cancer in the future.

Smiles and hugs to both of you.

Fawn

irmie said...

Dear Judy,

At a time like this, I know we need all the support we can get.

I can't quite imagine what you are going through, but I do know you are not alone right now.

"Kindness gives to another, compassion knows no others".

I am sure you will bring forth all your courage and strength to cope during these coming days ...with all the changes in your reality.. so...

"when the night is cloudy
there is still a light that
shines on me
shine until tomorrow,
let it be
there will be an answer,
let it be."

What I am trying to say is I will always be here for you especially in times of need, of suffering but also of hope, as a loving and understanding friend.

You can always count on me, Judy.

love you so.

Hugzzz and chin up,
irmie

Susan said...

BRAVO! Sarah, this is a fabulous article that needs to be shared far and wide. Thank you for your strong, knowledgeable and convincing voice on a subject that is so vital to all women!

Gene said...

Thank you Judy

I read it and it is powerful and beautiful

she is a beautiful woman,,,your daughter

Thank you so much for sending the blog...

Jill said...

Sarah’s letter was perfect; hope it was published. I’m so glad things are going well for her. She’s beautiful.

Jill

Kathy said...

Hi Judy,

Tears never fail to fall when I read your blog. I am always moved by the words that you share, along with Sarah's touching posts.

Sarah's response was very powerful and I believe, one that all should read!

Kathy

Liz (aka lisauk) said...

Ohhhh myyyy Judy …

your daughter is so pretty, with or without her hair lol ...

fantastic teeth I’d die for … and she is the image of her mother ..

You must be so proud of what she has been through …

Please give her my love and special prayers sent from the uk … I just love your blog …..

Love and Best wishes from me

(((liz)))) aka lisauk

Laura said...

Got it and it is of course very touching...

you are all so blessed...

the blog is wonderfully put...it really makes me think.

THANKS FOR SHARING

lAURA

sarah said...

Thank you everyone for your comments! They mean a lot to me!