Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sarah's Words From Her CaringBridge Today

I have cut and pasted Sarah's CaringBridge post from today. It is a beautiful post letting us go with her into her thoughts and feelings.

This picture was taken on April 9, 2010. She was at karoake, which is one of her favorite things to do.

She had had her bilateral mastectomy and had not yet started chemo. This is her real hair.

She is my daughter, my first born child. What a privilege I was given. I get to be her mother.



Sunday, September 26, 2010 10:34 AM, CDT

Breast cancer.

I went to a Comfort Club meeting yesterday. I love Comfort Club. It’s very… calming (and comforting) to me.

There is something about being in a room with other women who know. Who know what it’s like to hear “it’s cancer”. Who know what it’s like to wonder “Am I going to die? What about my family? Will my children remember me?” Who know what it’s like to have to decide: Lumpectomy? Mastectomy? Breast reconstruction? Many of whom have had the experience of losing their hair. And all the feelings that go with that. Who understand what chemo side effects are like. Who know what it’s like to be looked at differently.

I like being in a group of women who just understand. I can listen to their stories and learn from them. Although we share a common diagnosis, “breast cancer”, I have yet to meet another woman who has had the same experience as I have. We share much, and yet our experiences are different.

Breast cancer.

As I was driving home yesterday, I thanked God for my breast cancer. I do not believe that God gave me cancer. I do believe that all things work for good for those that love God, and have been called according to his purpose.

I feel like I am where I need to be in my life now. I feel like I have had (another one) of the big experiences I am supposed to have. I feel like I see a little clearer now, have more understanding and compassion. And I feel like I can help people in a way I couldn’t have before.

I feel like I have a mission. Or at least a direction. I want to help other women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer.

And yet I remind myself that I am still going through it. It’s only been 7 months.

And I am still going through it. In fact, there is much that I haven’t gone through. I’m not done with reconstruction. My hair hasn’t grown back fully. And…. I still have so so many feelings that need to come out. Tears. Anger. Confusion.

Breast cancer.

One of the things we talked about at the meeting yesterday is who were we before breast cancer, and who are we because and beyond breast cancer. I could answer the first two. I know how I was different before, and now, because of. But I’m not beyond breast cancer yet. I’m still in the middle.

It’s helpful for me that there are women in the group who are a few years out. Who were diagnosed years ago. They are still in the group. They still have feelings about their breast cancer. They are survivors. And I “look up” to them. I really like knowing breast cancer survivors. Who have gone through what I’m going through and have gone through what I have yet to experience. It comforts me.

Breast cancer.

Breast cancer.

What could have easily been seen as the worst thing that has ever happened to me is probably going to turn into the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Who knew?

Let’s do this.

9 comments:

joe said...

I am so proud too that I get to be her friend.

Love you Sarah
xoxo

Vertigo said...

This is so beautiful Judy. Thank you so much for sharing it, HUGGGGGGGGGS.

Vertigo

Judy Roo said...

hi honey...your post today is a beautiful "inside" post.......

I feel your quiet strength and your commitment to "just say yes" as you are being called to help others....

the way may not be laid outyet...but it will be...

it is funny how sometimes we don't know exactly "where" we are going...but we do know "that" we are going...

I love you sarah

I did before you got cancer
I did while you had cancer
I did while you got rid of the cancer
and I will beyond the cancer...

someday.....beyond the cancer

I am proud of you Sarah

I was before you got cancer
I was while you had cancer
I was when you got rid of the cancer
and I will be beyond the cancer

someday

beyond.........someday...

mom
xo

let's do this!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, God Bless You, What an amazing young lady you are. It may be hard to understand, but you have given me more strength than I could have imagined anyone could psssibly give me. God Bless You, Hugss Bill

Betsy said...

Sarah, you have expressed so well the feelings one has after surviving cancer. You have a great outlook for a lady so young--I commend you Sarah.

Betsy

Laura L. said...

Judy,

I can not possibly feel the pain you and Sarah have gone through.

My prayers for the two of
you and your families will continue.

Your blog is so touching as is Sarah's.

THANKS FOR SHARING AND GOD BLESS BOTH OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES.

Laura L.

Montana said...

Thank you, Judy, for posting this. And thank you, Sarah, for your thoughts. They helped and touched me. Not long ago I read a quote that is so true: When you think of what you don't have you have nothing. When you think of what you do have you have everything. You have everything. God bless you.

Mary Pat said...

Wow! That's it - just Wow!

Love,

Mary Pat

P. said...

Thank-you! What a way to start today...crying my eyes out.

I don't get it and the both of you handle it so beautifully.

The day after Josh got married our daughter Jody had an appendix attack and ended up staying in Red Lodge with us for over a week.

The time I had with her was wonderful all because of you Judy and telling me what my choices are when times were crappie.

I get that more and more. These girls are so precious and strong.

This whole blog should be put into a book. You both have such a way with words and music.

Thanks for sharing some of the pain and all the love you share. P