Sunday, September 05, 2010

My Dad's 98th Birthday Party

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD, GRANDPA AND GREAT GRANDPA

My dad


He was born September 1, 1912. They named him Alfred, but he has always gone by Al.

He doesn't care for the name Alfred. That is ok. Al works just fine.

He is my father. He is the man who taught me what men were like. I learned to trust men. I learned that men were nice to be around. I learned that men were gentle and caring and patient. I learned that being a girl was nice.

He used to go shopping with me while my mother bought nylons at Dayton's.

We would walk through the girl's clothing department and he would look at the mannequins and say to me, "That would look really nice on you Judy." I didn't have to have those things. It was just nice to hear him say it.

One time...I was a senior in high school and had been asked to the prom. I had already been to the prom before, and even though I would have liked a new dress, I didn't need one. But, once again, while my mom was shopping for some things at Daytons, and my dad had gone with her this time, I went looking for prom dresses...just to try them on.

I shopped at a small specialty ladies shop across the street and found the most beautiful dress. I took it to try it on in the most amazingly big and beautiful dressing room.

The dress was so pretty. It had tiers of soft, aqua fabric that moved when I walked. I twirled and twirled in that dressing room and I just had to show it to my dad. I asked the lady if she could hold it for me just until I could bring my dad back to see it. That was all I wanted. I didn't have to have it.

I brought my dad to see the dress. He sat in an unholstered chair just outside the dressing room. I went in and put the dress on.

And, when I came out, I saw my dad's smiling face. We left that store that day with the dress.

Happy birthday Dad! I am a lucky girl to have had you in my life. I am a lucky girl to still have you in my life.

Thank you for being the kind of dad you are and for teaching me so many important things about life.

I love you!

Your daughter,
Judy

Below are some videos from my dad's birthday party. Please come on in, sit a spell, and get to know the man I get to have as my dad.

Welcome to my world!


















5 comments:

sarah said...

I love my grandpa! I'm so lucky to have him for a grandpa!

Kathy said...

Thank you Judy for sharing that wonderful story.

What a beautiful memory, of a time past, to treasure always!

What a better world this would be if every child had such love from their father as you have. -Kathy

David said...

Goodness Judy. Find out your Dad's secret recipe and whisper it to me!

Love
David/Air

Vertigo said...

Thank you for this Judy. You are a very special person.

Loved meeting your family. Hugggggs.

Pam said...

What a wonderful day.
98 wonderful. Pam