Friday, May 28, 2010

Special Stuff....So Many Blessings

It is quiet right now. I am quiet right now. It is Friday afternoon. The sun is shining. I am looking out the window and seeing the beautiful green of spring and reflecting on the events of this week.

At the beginning of the week I was holding myself together as I anticipated Sarah's third chemo treatment. Her second chemo treatment was so awful and the side effects were so many and pretty much constant that the thought of heading into another treatment was pure dread. There was no choice but to go toward it one step at a time and just get through it and hope for the best.

That part of my week was hard. I know all about having a good attitude and not getting ahead of yourself. Don't project. Think positive thoughts. Take things one day at a time. Oh, I know all about those things.

And, you know what? Sometimes, you just can't talk yourself out of your feelings. Sarah and I both felt dread from the inside out.

So, one might wonder why the title of this post is "Special Stuff....So Many Blessings."

Well, you see, good things happen too! And, good things happened this week. So, as I sit here being quiet on a beautiful sunny and green spring day, it is the good things I want to write about.

First of all, last weekend, our dear friends, Steve and Kathy, called and asked if they could stop by. Steve and Kathy are the kind of friends that even if you haven't seen them or talked to them for months, you just pick up where you left off. Now, if you are me, that is with kisses and hugs and I love you's.....thennnnnnnnnn you talk about other things.

Steve and Kathy brought us a beautiful gift. They know what we are going through. They know Sarah. They know Dave and the kids. They know how to love and they give from their hearts. They are two of the kindest people I have ever been lucky enough to meet. We have been friends for over twenty years.

Below is the lovely lovely gift they gave Tom and me. I hope you can read what it says because it is perfect for what is happening in our lives right now. If you click on the picture it will enlarge.

Kathy and Steve holding their gift to us

The gift close up

And, that wasn't all the special stuff to happen either. Remember, I said Sarah and I were dreading her third chemo treatment because the second chemo was so awful?

Well, chemo number three turned out to be great!! It was just great! Sarah, Kara (Sarah's sister), and I think it is because we had them slow down the chemo drip. Sarah didn't experience any side effects during the treatment and we talked and laughed with other patients for the several hours we were there.

As you can see in the next picture, Sarah and one of the other chemo patients, Lynn, were really having fun. Oh, yes.........a lot of fun. I am not sure there have ever been any other patients who have done a pole dance during chemo!

Sarah and Lynn doing a pole dance with Sarah's IV pole

The next picture is of Kara, Sarah and me during chemo. Sarah was relaxed, a little tired, but so happy. The dread was washed away as we realized this treatment was going to be better.

But, the special thing about this picture is that all three of us are wearing necklaces that a friend of mine made and sent to me all the way from Texas. Her name is Sylvia. And, she is a special person.

I have never met Sylvia. We met online and yet we feel like family. She has followed Sarah's story and asked if she could send her something. Little did I know Kara and I would receive such a beautiful gift too.

Sylvia made each of us a special necklace with the cancer ribbon on it. Sarah's necklace says Sarah on it. Mine says Daughter on it. And, Kara's says Sister on it. I was so touched by this gift and felt so blessed.

We all wore our necklaces to the chemo treatment. Here you go Sylvia! A picture of us wearing your necklaces.

Kara, Sarah and me wearing our necklaces

And, the week and the blessings still weren't over. On this quiet and beautiful Friday morning as I sat and drank my coffee, the phone rang. It was Davey. Here is how our conversation went..
.
Hello....

Hi Gramma...

Well, hi punkin...how are you?

Good....Gramma, I want you to come to school for lunch today...

Well.....that might work...I haven't talked to mommy yet to see how she is feeling...

Ohhhhhhh, right...someone has to take care of mommy today...I forgot about that...

But, maybe it could work punkin....

Well...do you like cinnamon rolls gramma?

I love cinnamon rolls...

Then, today is your lucky day! We are having homemade whole wheat cinnamon rolls for lunch today!

Well, punkin, do I have to tell you right now if I can come or not? I have to wait and talk to mommy first....

Well...........

How about I talk to mommy and see how she is feeling and then I can call the school and tell them if I can come to lunch or can't come to lunch and they can get the message to you?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that is a great idea!

And, off Davey went to school. As it turned out, mommy was feeling great when she woke up today........we suspect it was a steroid high.........but it lasted long enough that both she and I were able to go to Davey's school for lunch today and it really was my lucky day (the cinnamon roll was fabulous)... thanks punkin...you made mommy's and my day very special!


Davey (punkin to me) wearing one of mommy's head wraps which he loves to do

I am blessed....I am so blessed....family and friends surround me....I sit here in the quiet and the stillness and my insides are calm....yep....special stuff...pretty special stuff....

9 comments:

David said...

You have the right attitude Judy.

Thinking of you, Sarah and all the family. Hugs from Ireland.

David / Air

Redtulip said...

awwwwwwwwwwww Judy, I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face.

This really touched my heart. I thought about if my mama was alive when I went thru cancer treatment, she would have been right by my side thru it all. There is not anything like a Mother's love.

Sarah is such a beautiful lady. I just know she will be ok. She is in my thoughts and prayers and you are as well.

Huggggggggggggggs Redtulip (Pat)

SYlvia said...

"Special Stuff" for Special Ladies...Sarah looks as beautiful as ever!

What a lovely picture frame...may your "Circle" always be strong.

I'm glad you enjoyed the necklaces. They were made with love for the 3 of you!

Judy you're a wonderful, caring mother, Kara your a great sister, and Sarah you are so brave and strong...

As we say in Texas, Love Yall!!!

sarah said...

Yep, it's been a great day.

(and Davey is wearing his very own bandana that he picked out so he can be like Mommy)

I am so very blessed!

kimmie said...

thank you for sharing Judy.
I love you!
Kimmie

Ellen said...

many hugs to your wonderful family

Ellen

Mary Pat said...

OOOOOOooooooohhhhhhhh, Judy.

There are no words to tell you how beautiful is your prose.

I have a request...I read the words on the picture that Kathy and Steve gave you, but I could not read the name of the author.

Would you mind telling me who that is?

Thanks, Judy!

I have a poster that says, "Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."

Blessings,

Mary Pat

Kelly said...

Miss Judy,

Your love for your family (and humanity in general) is amazing and inspiring. Many warm wishes to you, Sarah and your family.

Kelly

Jo Lodge said...

Reading you post today, bought a few tears. Not from sadness Judy, but because you and your familoy are such an inspiration. You really do have the right approach to Sarah's Chemo treatment and to life itself. Thank you for sharing your families story. xxx