Saturday, March 06, 2010

Bed Shopping And Room Setup For Sarah's Recovery

What could be more exciting than deciding to put a king size adjustable bed in your living room? Not a lot. Not a lot if you are me. Well, if I stop to think about it I could maybe think of some other things....but this last week that was exactly my mission.

I invited Sarah to join me for the bed shopping. I knew where I wanted to go. I was headed, on Wednesday morning last (that phrasing is so Irish...thank you Joe) , to the factory direct store Comforest, U.S.A. The owner introduced adjustable beds thirty five years ago and they make the beds right there. They have designed their mattress specifically to work on the adjustable base and will custom design the base to specifications to fit the buyer's body within certain parameters.

I ended up purchasing a bed which I knew I would do. Once I tried it I was SOLD!

Sarah will be sleeping on it during her recovery and then it will be moved up to my bedroom. I bet there just might be some nights that I sleep with her so I can take care of her throughout the night.

Dave might spend some nights at home with the boys and get them off to school if they want to keep a little more normal routine....at least some of the time. (Our meeting with Dr. Migliori was so positive that Sarah's recovery seems like it will be shorter and easier than we once thought).

The bed was delivered yesterday. Below are some pictures that show the initial setup and the finished room from different angles.

There is enough room for people to sit and visit and to walk on either side of the bed. The colors are soft and Sarah will be able to have it as dark or light as she wants and with as much privacy as she wants. I was so pleased with how it turned out.



The king size bed has dual x long twin mattresses. The wheels lock and the beds stay together yet can be moved apart easily to make the bed.

The edges of the mattress are designed so even though they meet in the middle you can't feel the split or where they meet. This allows each mattress to be adjusted individually.

Each base can be built to fit partners of different heights and weights. So a 6 ft person living with a 5 ft person would have different bases. I think that is so slick. Each side has a wireless remote so each person can raise and/or lower the head and foot as desired.


We put sheer panels on the glass french doors so Sarah can have privacy even if people are in the adjoining fireplace room. They look so airy and soft and do just what I wanted them to do.

This is the view into the new room from the front door hallway. It is nice because there are solid french doors that can be closed for privacy.


This is how the new sheers look from the fireplace room. They give a nice sense of privacy without feeling like you are being closed off from where people will be when Sarah is resting.

You might wonder what I did with some of the furniture that is usually in my living room. Two wingback chairs and an antique chest were moved into my formal dining room.

I found places for them that make the dining room look ok too. I really didn't want any of the rooms in the house to look like they were storage rooms. I don't think they do.

The two wingback chairs fit perfectly in beside the buffet. That made me really happy.


And, the antique chest went right where it always goes at Christmas time. That was a perfect fit.

Maybe it seems funny to have such a focus right now.

My daughter has cancer.

Saying those words creates feelings of fear and helplessness. When I knew I could bring her and her family home it gave me hope, joy and strength. I felt somehow empowered.

There was something I could control. It felt good. It still does.

The thought of hearing Sarah's sounds in my house, whatever they may be, helps me breathe. Sarah has good sounds. She has a great laugh and I know I will hear it beyond the pain that I know is going to accompany us on this journey.

Creating Sarah's recovery room gave me something to do. I am a doer when I experience a loss or have a fear of a loss. And, boy, did I do! I can now walk toward next week with a sense that everything is going to be ok. And, I know it is. Dr. Migliori has every confidence it will be too.

Every time I read that last sentence I breathe.

Dr. Migliori has confidence it will be ok.

Surgery is Friday, March 12th. And, tomorrow I will go to Sarah's church and hear her read scripture and go home with her and help with the boys.

It will be the beginning of the week that I am entrusting my child to the people who will take care of her when I can't.

God knows too. God will be taking care of all of us. Into Thy hands we commend ourselves.

6 comments:

Kara said...

Looks nice Mom.

sarah roo said...

Too much to say, so I'll just say "nice post, Mom". I love you.

(and my response is better than Kara's!) LOL!

Sylvia said...

Wonderful Judy! Sarah is so lucky to have you!

Sylvia said...

I just had an idea...(I get them every now and then LOL) Lets all wear Pink on Friday to let Sarah know, that it doesn't matter if we're near or far, she will be thought of and prayed for, especailly on Friday.

maryzona said...

great idea Syliva..wear pink on Friday

maryzona said...

Great looking room Judy. I have named it Sarah's Sanctuary..