Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Part Of Briana's Story....The Families

Briana's story is both an interesting and an inspirational story. Briana was adopted by my sister, Linda and her husband David, when she was nine weeks old I believe. Her biological mother's name is Phyllis and her biological father's name is Ivory.

Briana met both of her biological parents as a young adult and had somewhat of an ongoing relationship with Ivory. They texted, called each other on the phone and Briana and Jahmari spent a week with Ivory on at least two occasions. She also had siblings that she was able to meet and have ongoing communication.

Phyllis, Ivory and all the siblings attended her funeral. I don't know how common this bringing together of two families is, but it doesn't seem very common to me at all.

In addition, Jahmari's biological father's family was at the funeral. The father, Gene, is currently out of the country, but his wife and extended family were at the funeral. They are African and wanted to make a contribution to Briana's funeral. The video at the end of this post is them singing the benediction. It is beautiful!

To have all the families who have a connection to Briana at the funeral still expands my thinking and touches my heart. It is like Briana was in the center of a circle and all the families joined hands to surround her life in her death.

Linda and David talking to Phyllis, Briana's biological mother

Linda talking to Phyllis

Ivory, Briana's biological father...they look so much alike

5 comments:

Carole and Chewy said...

I don't know you and have only met Briana's parents once or twice - but Bri was a huge part of our life back in 1994-1997 when she was my daughter's preschool teacher at the Y -eventually she moved in with us for a year or so.
Our entire family was so sorry to hear the news, and I just found your blog today. Thank you so much for posting these articles since we could not be at the service. Last week I wrote my own note to Bri -I just wish I could have told her again in person how much our family loved her:
http://365daysinmoonshinecapitol.blogspot.com/2010/02/day-192365-bri.html

Judy Roo said...

thank you carole and chewy...I am so glad you found my blog and I know bri would have loved to hear how she played an important part in all of your lives...thank you for befriending her...I will be writing more of briana's story and I hope you will come back again...

chezronsve@yahoo.com said...

Hi Judy, I also don't know u but i met your daughter at the wake and bri was a great friend to me.. I met her at the y in 1994 and we became friends right away.. she was the first friend at the hospital when I gave birth to my daughter 14 years ago today.. I have video of that blessed day and was glad that I have that keepsake of her. She was soo loved and touched the heart of many. i'm soo sad that we lost touch and I had not heard or seen her in over 9 years and the day i found out she was battling cancer i got the news that she passed only a few hours later. Bri you were a wonderful friend,mother,daughter,teacher,and all around awsome human being

Roni Svenningsen

Judy Roo said...

thank you for writing roni...I am sure briana hears your words and feels your heart...it is wonderful you have the video keepsake of a very special day..

thank you for telling us your story of how you knew briana...at the funeral many people stood up and told stories of briana...I will make sure her mom and dad get to hear your story...

Maryzona said...

Briana was very special person in the lives of so many people.