Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Arriving In London And The Changing Of The Guard At Buckingham Palace

Tom's and my trip to see our friend, Joe, in Ireland was made even more special by including an all too short trip to London.

On March 12th, Joe, Tom and I boarded a plane on Ryan Air at Shannon Airport. Shannon Airport is only about an hour's drive from Joe's house and Dublin Airport is about two + hours drive from Joe's house. Our good friend, Pat Whelan, drove us to the airport and he included a short trip through Limerick. It was the first time Tom and I had been to Limerick, so that was nice, as we got to see one more part of Ireland.

Our flight was comfortable, smooth and just a hop, skip and jump from Shannon to London Gatwick where we were met by Joe's sister, Peggie, and her daughter, Maria. Tom and I had never met Peggie and Maria before and we were so excited to finally meet them face to face. We had spoken on the phone before which was very nice, but seeing them was just wonderful!

When they spotted us in the airport at London Peggie came hurrying over with arms outstretched and a beautiful welcoming smile. Maria, who is full of personality, nearly galloped over to hug her Uncle Joe and hug Tom and me in turn. It made us feel very welcomed and loved.

We got a good night's rest at Peggie's beautiful home and on Friday, the 13th of March, we visited Buckingham Palace so we could witness the changing of the guard.

Later I will write about why Friday the 13th might not have been the best day of my trip.

The first video was taken as we took our first steps out onto the streets of London and the other videos are of the changing of the guard ceremony outside Buckingham Palace.

Enjoy the videos and stay tuned for more of our London holiday! x x









4 comments:

Issy said...

wonderful Judy - loved them - thanks so very much !!

Mary Pat said...

Great job, Judy! I really enjoyed this!

Judy Roo said...

thank you issy and mary pat...I didn't know what changing of the guard really was....I guess I thought it was going to be one guard's duty being over and another guard coming up to take his place..it turned out to be 30 minutes of music, marching and pomp and circumstance..

I still shake my head at the realization that I was there...and the lump in my throast comes back every time I relive the experience through the videos..

June Trottier said...

thank you Judy for posting such an event..for those of us who, may never have a chance to see this live. Just wonderful...and exciting.. June