Sunday, March 08, 2009

The Anniversary Mass

Today was the 10th anniversary mass for Joe's late wife, Ann. We left the house for church at 10:40 a.m. for the 11:00 mass. The church we went to was St. John's, one of two Catholic churches in Nenagh, the other being St. Mary's. We had visited St. John's during our last visit in 2006. The service was really special for me. I loved the music and the homily. But, most of all, I loved that we got to share this day with Joe and some of the members of his family. Following the mass, several of us went to the cemetary to pay our respects to Ann.

It might sound funny. I don't know. I had been to the cemetary before in 2006. And, like that visit, this time I spoke silently to Ann and thanked her for having a happy marriage with Joe and keeping him safe for our time with him. I told her we were taking good care of him and that he is the Godfather now to our newest little Grandson, Jackson Toby. I feel like Joe is a gift to all of us and I wanted her to know.

The family then gathered at the Hibernian, a lovely restaurant in town. I got to talk with Joe's granddaughter, Deirdre, who is 16, her friend, Lisa, also 16, and Joe's granddaugher, Claire, who is 12. I learned all about what is called a transition year in their school system, which precedes the last two years of high school. The students do all kinds of interesting things during that year like participate in drama, visit a court room, and golfing plus many other things. There are no tests. It is a year of experiences. I thought that was just a wonderful idea. And, I learned about what Claire is doing in her sixth grade year. They are wonderful young people and it was such a pleasure to visit with them.

Joe's son Milo, and daughter Eileen, and a friend Alice, were the other adult family members who were at the Hibernian. It was nice to visit with them as well. We missed several other family members who were unable to join us at the Hibernian but
were fortunate to meet and visit briefly with following mass.

It is wonderful to be welcomed by Joe's family and given the privilege to share this special family event.

Below are two pictures...one of the gate to the cemetary. The other is of the car Milo is driving. Joe followed Milo's lead by making an illegal u-turn to get headed in the direction of the Hibernian. Tom, Joe and I had a good laugh about that since the navigation system in my car at home instructs me, when I am going the wrong direction, to make...................a legal u-turn!

Following the pictures are three videos.

Here are the pictures.......


Getting ready to make the illegal u-turn
And, here are the videos.............



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy

It sounds like your having the time of your life................We are in Red Lodge tonight and Josh came over from Bozeman. It is snowing as I type 2-3" a hour. What a wonderful trip for you both.

Keep this blog up. I get a huge kick out of it. I live such a boring life. Next I want to go to Ireland with you.

Enjoy Pam

Adam Wright said...

I find the story about a Year of Discover with the Ireland school very intersting. I would love to talk with someone about that. I think that is facinating.

Sounds like a nice service and a great day or remembering.