Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Early Morning

It is almost 6:30 a.m. and I am up for the day. I woke early. I think it was 4:45 a.m. and I did not go back to sleep. Sometimes, when that happens, I wish I could go back to sleep. Usually I don't. I guess that is OK. It gives me time to think....kind of like when I am at a stoplight.

I think of these things, waking early and stopping at stoplights, as pauses in my day and they give me time to think, contemplate and maybe even figure things out that are on my mind. I see them as opportunities to be in the moment and for the most part I enjoy my own company and internal conversation. (As my family knows, it is not always internal!)

I got a quote in my email this morning that got me to thinking. It made me smile and that is what prompted my early morning thoughts. The quote is....

"We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same." Carlos Castaneda

It is all about attitude. Life happens especially when we think we have control. Then I think about the old saying, "Control is an illusion!"

As I head into the holiday season I am ever so aware that I hope for some control of things like money, time and mood to name a few. I know I have some control but it is so hard when I start looking at Christmas things in the Christmas section at Target. There is something that happens to me and I think it is the magic of Christmas that still captures me. I look, I touch, I smile, I go into little scenes in my head. I want to buy the feeling I get while I am standing there. Sometimes I do.

The simplest way to say it is, my senses wake up and come alive in a special way standing in the Christmas aisle at Target. I don't ever want to lose the magic. I can't imagine ever losing the magic.

Welcome to my world! Welcome to my early morning world! I am going to get some breakfast now. I am going to get some coffee now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you Mom! I love the way you look at life and I love they way you live your life. Sometimes I wish I could have that "magic" too. I guess I have learned that I have my own sort of magic though - and that works for me!

I remember one year when Christopher was just a baby...we were supposed to meet at the mall in Rochester (I can't remember why now). This was in the days before cell phones... Well, we were about 2 hours late! I was very upset and worried and felt bad that we were wasting your time.
When we finally showed up you were just glad to see us and said how nice it was to have some time for yourself and to just enjoy the season at the mall etc.

I think about that a lot, especially when my schedule is not going according to my plan. These are the kinds of lessos you taught us - and this after I was already married and a mom myself! Thanks Mom!