Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Funny What Touches You In Life

I had a really great day today. I had a good day at work, met a new person (a didactic student of Tom's who loved the book I have put together and hope to publish someday and also loved and "got" the concept behind the new website I am doing) and I had a great lunch and conversation with a friend, who incidentally bought lunch.

Who says there is no such thing as a free lunch?

On top of all that, I watched a show on TV that, to my surprise, brought tears to my eyes. It was the show "The Biggest Loser", a show about weight loss.

This season is featuring families. The winner of the contest tonight would get to make a call home. One family won the contest but gave the prize of the call home to another family who had an autistic child. It still makes me cry.

First of all, it was such a gift to give away the prize. Secondly, when they showed the conversation between the mom and dad and their autistic son it allowed me to be a part of their world with a new understanding of autism and a world that I know so little about.

It was a privilege to be let into their world. It really touched me.

The little boy's name was Rhett, but he thinks of himself as Charlie Brown because his world somehow has to do with colors.

It is a world I don't know anything about and am touched deeply by.

That is all I know right now.

2 comments:

Adam Wright said...

It amazes me the things that touch me our my life that I never expect.

Reminds me of a quote I heard years ago. I was at leadership training course through the First United Church of Christ in Watertown, WI. The person leading the discussion went around the room and asked each person what their favorite story or verse in the Bible was and why.

Somebody answered that it all depends on what they need or the guidence they're looking for. Their favorite verse was always the next verse they read.

I'm not sure why...but I've always felt my favorite memory of my kids is the next memory that is created.

Judy Roo said...

I love getting to know you as a man adam....one of the privileges of being your mom is I got to know you as a boy and I keep learning about you as the years go by...I am really glad you said to me about three years ago......"Mom, you should do a blog!" I said, "I can do that. When you come to visit you can get me set up." You said, "C'mom, Mom! Come over here and let's do it now!" And, we did.......we surely did!

And, it is one of the ways I learn so much about you. Thanks Ad!