Tuesday, May 06, 2008

What Are Friends For?


So, I was talking to my friend, Joe from Ireland, tonight. And, he said to me, "You know what is wrong with you?"

Now, what kind of a thing is that to say to a friend I ask?

So, I said with some apprehension, "What?"

He said, "You're normal!"

I laughed.

The deal is I had my annual exam today and while I came away from it with relief and happiness with the results, I recognized I had been thinking about it for weeks. You know the part I hate the most?

Being weighed! I hate being weighed! I said to myself on the way over to the clinic, "Why do you always want to be different than you are when you go to the doctor?" I always think I should weigh less than I do. The doctor has never once told me I need to weigh less.

Joe told me everyone feels that way. There is always some apprehension when you go to the doctor. So, my friend broke the news to me..............

"Judy, you are normal!"

And, by the way, my blood pressure was 110/70 (nice and low) and my cholesterol was 172 overall (desirable is under 200) and my good cholesterol was 69 (desirable is 40 and above) and the ratio was 2.5.

Oh, and I didn't shrink!

I was told I was boring (in a good way), extremely healthy and to keep doing whatever it is I am doing.

Just think....I heard all that good news and it was topped off with being told I am normal. What a day!

Thanks Joe! You made me laugh. I also have been reading that laughing burns calories so I guess I also got my exercise in for the day!

11 comments:

Tom Wright said...

Go Judy Roo!!!!

Judy Roo said...

thanks tom...seems like I am going to be around for awhile unless I am struck down by the trunk of an elephant or something like that..

I am really glad I am boringly healthy...I am so lucky..and maybe I am doing some of the right things..

and I am thankful for my family genes...

Anonymous said...

I think you are funny. I see the(same?) dr. tomorrow. I can assure you that I will wish I weighed less!! Am I funny or normal?

Life Is Good said...

The hardest thing I had to do all day was break that news to you...I knew it would come as a shock to you to know that you are no different from the rest of us mere mortals who approach things that are beyond our control with a certain amount of apprehension.
Yes, my dear friend. It’s called - Just being normal!!

Anonymous said...

Over in England Judy we call it an M.O.T.. The health check .lol;ask Joe what one is ..Wonderful Blog judy loverly Family.
Best wishes, from Yorkshire England

Anonymous said...

Hey Judy.
Thanks for filling me in on a part of your day.
I too have a physical examination once a year around my birthday in January.
It's great to be normal, I used to think I was exceptional (well maybe exceptionally normal,,"S")
I was told by a good friend, that of all the beaches in the world I was just one grain of sand.
Boy did that ever give me an ego check,"S"
Thanks again.
Love to you and the family.
Lenny

Lenny said...

Hey Judy.
Thank you for sharing a part of your day with me.
I to have an annual physical.
I get it done around the time of birthday in January.
Isn't it great just to be normal?
I always thought I was exceptional,
(well at least exceptionally normal,,"S")
A learned friend pointed out to me, that of all the beaches on this earth I was but one grain of sand.
Now that was a blow to my ego to learn this, but I can now accept it,,"S"
My regards to you and your family.
Lenny

Anonymous said...

Judy,

K and I like you just the way you are............ but never, never would I use the word "normal" to describe you, Judy.

s

Judy Roo said...

sarah roo....you are funny and normal..and I love you..xo

Judy Roo said...

thank you for visiting lisauk and for leaving such a nice comment...I will most certainly ask Joe what M.O.T. is...

and I love sharing my family!

Adam Wright said...

I agree with S & K, I would never say you were 'normal'