Tuesday, April 08, 2008

So, Here's A Question

I was talking with my friend Joe from Ireland today, and he used an expression I had not heard before. I didn't know what it meant.

He said to me as he was playing Spider solitaire, "I just won two games on the trot"

I said, "Did you say on the trot?"

He said, "Yep!"

I said, "That was a new one. What does that mean?"

He said, "One after the other. I won two games one after the other."

So, that was a new one for me. Did anyone know what it meant?

I love hearing expressions we don't use here, or do we and I just haven't heard them. In fact, I have a list of words that they use in Ireland that are different than we use here. I think I will put those up too. Yep, I will. I will put those up soon.

4 comments:

Adam Wright said...

I like that saying. One on the trot.

Anonymous said...

I knew! But then, I'm in England. We have so many expressions like that - it's easy to forget that people from other countries won't know what they mean. My friends in the USA often laugh at things I say. But then, it works the other way too.

Judy Roo said...

I liked it too ad....I love learning new expressions..

Judy Roo said...

thank you for visiting jay..and for leaving a comment...I am getting to know more new expressions from your neck of the woods and I just really enjoy them..I know what you mean about both sides laughing..it sure does work both ways!