Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Birthday Letter From My Dad And A Childhood Song


Tomorrow on March 16th, 2008, I will be celebrating my birthday. I will be 65 years old. About six weeks ago I received a beautiful letter from my dad. It is written to his three daughters and is an expression of his love for us, his enjoyment of being our dad, and the importance of family to him.

I wanted to share it because I think I was pretty lucky to have him for a dad and to have grown up feeling very loved and that I mattered.

He is 95 years old now and lives just 35 minutes from me. I got a birthday card from him and he included a note saying he would call to set up a time to take me to lunch. Lunch will be at Perkins and he will have pancakes.

Here is his letter..if you click on the letter it will come up in a larger screen and will be easier to read.


The music I have put on is a tape of my dad singing the song he used to sing to me when I was a little girl. I think he was in his 70's when he taped this for me. I think it is really special and I sincerely hope you enjoy it. The name of the song is "That Little Girl Of Mine."
Please click the forward button to play and enjoy my dad's singing.



Thank you Dad! I love you!

11 comments:

Professor Dru said...

Judy, the birthday letter and song by your dad is great! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have a dad who can express his love for you in word and song. What a blessing. Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us.
Have a happy birthday.

Judy Roo said...

you are welcome professor dru..and thank you so much for visiting..and especially for leaving a comment..I appreciate it very much!

Judy Roo said...

thank you esther...it is wonderful to have a dad who can express his love in words and song...

it was my pleasure to share this with everyone and I will have a most happy birthday...

I am so glad you stopped by!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mom! I love you! Have a great day with your Punkin!

Judy Roo said...

thanks kara....I will have a good day with punkin and everyone..we are going out to eat at one of the boy's favorite restaurants after church....and then back to sarah and dave's for a little while...

I love you!

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Grandpa is so special and we are all lucky to have him in our lives. I love you! Happy Birthday!

Adam Wright said...

That's a pretty nice birthday gift. And don't forget Parker singing to you on the phone. And he did that all by himself.

I Love You Mom!

Professor Dru said...

Judy,

I'm curious as to how you got your Dad's voice on the web. Was it recorded on a tape originally and then digitized later?

Judy Roo said...

hi professor dru......yes, it was originally taped by my dad..and I will post another comment in here as soon as I get the steps my husband used to get it into an mp3 file...

please check back and I will have that for you in the comments ok?

Judy Roo said...

INFORMATION FOR PROFESSOR DRU...

Casette tape (analog) to mp3 (digital) file.

1. Connect the tape recorder earphone jack to the computer microphone jack with male to male cable. (Radio Shack)
2. Play tape with tape recorder while recording with computer software.
3. Convert computer wav file to mp3 file with appropriate software.
4. I used GoldWave recording software.
5. You can use Audacity software to both record and convert. It is excellent and free.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

SECONDLY....

In order to use Audacity to convert WAV to MP3, you will also have to
download and install the LAME MP3 encoder. It is available on the
Audacity site below.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&item=lame-mp3

I don't see that these sites come up professor dru....but let me know if there is another way I can get them to you if it is important.

Good luck!