Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Little Talk About Goals

Today is Friday,January 11th and I have made a decision.
(This post has been in my draft folder since yesterday. That is why it says Thursday, January 10, at the top of the post.)

Judy on December 18, 2007

I don't think making a decision is the same thing as making a new year's resolution. First of all, new year's resolutions get bad press. What is the first thing you think about when you think about making a new year's resolution?

I usually think I have to do something I haven't been able to do and have to do and will have to work real hard at doing it before I stop doing it and essentially break my new year's resolution!

If you followed that, you are hopefully laughing by now. That sentence flowed out of me like nobody's business. That is why I didn't punctuate it....no need for puncuation when you are on a roll, right?

So, my decision is to lose weight and make my eating and exercise a lifetime and lifestyle change. Now, since I am already in good health, I have decided I want to stay in good health. My thinking is this.

I can either decide to live my life differently and manage my eating before I get high blood pressure, diabetes, heart trouble or a stroke, or I can wait until my health would dictate that I had to manage my life differently. Personally, I am all for prevention.

On January 1, 2008 I joined an online site that is designed to help me reach my goals. The site is http://www.sparkpeople.com/ and has already become something like an old friend. Below is one of the Healthy Reflection emails I received from them.

Getting specific about your goals

"Are your goals detailed enough for you to reach them? We all have aspirations and we are better off for having made them. But if your goals are too vague or unstructured, you'll find that attaining them is difficult. Wanting to lose 30 pounds is a wonderful goal, but it needs a plan to get you on the right track. These things don't happen overnight. Today, think about your goals and form a plan to achieve them. Write them down, chart your progress, refer to them as often as you need to stay on track, and most importantly, hold yourself accountable."

Below is a quote by Lily Tomlin that accompanied the Healthy Reflection.

"I have always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I have to be more specific."- Lily Tomlin, actress

The quote made me laugh, but not as much as this next story.

Quite a number of years ago, perhaps twelve years ago, I was visiting with a client. She was talking about losing weight and told me she had joined Weight Watchers. I said, "Great, have you lost any weight yet?"

She said, "Nope! I realized I can't just join. I have to go!"

It has now been eleven days and I have done exactly what I set out to do. For eleven straight days in a row I have managed my eating and my life differently. I like it. I like how I feel on the inside. I like my thinking. I like the creativity I have had with food and having more fun at the grocery store. Who knew reading labels could be so fun! If I live to be 100 years old..hmmmm..now, how many more days will I be doing this?

Oh, and I will be turning 65 this March. This is indeed a year of transition and change. I am going to be entering the Age Of Medicare. Whoever would have thought it?

And, and, and..........I CANNOT FORGET TO DRINK MY WATER!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before I even read your blog, I looked at your picture and thought, Judy has lost weight. And then I read your blog.

It's working!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judy Roo said...

that was so nice esther...thank you so much for taking the time to tell me...encouragement goes a long way toward making each day easier..no matter how committed you are it is nice to hear positive feedback...thanks...hugs

Adam Wright said...

I'm glad you decided to start the whole healthy living thing. I've been doing this since December '06 and I ave lost 60+ pounds.

Good Luck!

Judy Roo said...

thanks ad...this is my 12th day now and I have lost 4.2 lbs .. I am shooting for a loss of 2 lbs per week..it is interesting to see the pattern emerge as I do this...I weigh each morning and have done that with an objective eye...meaning I am not reacting to the rises and falls..and they are there..I fluctuate up and down throughout the week and am viewing this like watching a movie..if I am consistent in following my program I know I will lose and be healthy too...thanks ad...

Anonymous said...

Good job Judy... I now lost my 10 lbs and need to get back on the right track...its been too easy for me to enjoy all the wrong choices. Your new post was just what I needed. ty.

Judy Roo said...

thanks toots........it makes me feel good to know my post gave you a boost...and it feels great to have your support!

Anonymous said...

I think you're funny. :) And I love you.

Judy Roo said...

I am funny honey sarah roo and I love you too......xo

ldfs said...

Congratulations on what you've accomplished -- even in just a few days! Making the commitment to a lifestyle change is the hardest part, I think, so what you've done is no small task. Sounds like you are going to have a great new year.

Judy Roo said...

thanks lara....I know you have traveled this road with success...probably not without challenges however...although I have lost weight over the years I don't think I have ever been committed to quite what I am committed to this time..