Sunday, January 06, 2008

January 6, 2001

No, it is not a mistake that I wrote January 6, 2001. It was on that day that my mother died. Today is the anniversary of her death and I have thought about her throughout the day. If I am anything at all, I am a person who loves and believes in symbolism.
It was on the first anniversary of her death that my granddaughter, Amelia, was baptized. As we drove to the church I looked at the sky and there was a rainbow. The funny thing was we were not having rain and sun...the two ingredients we are told that make rainbows. It just seemed to appear. I smiled and said, "Hi mom," and then I cried. I believe it was her way of telling me she was with us.

Sometime after September 11, 2001 happened I was sitting at my computer. I had a picture of my mother to the left of me and all of a sudden I heard her voice as clear and plain as anything. I heard her voice so clearly I literally turned around to see if she was there. She said to me, "Judy, everyone is ok. I know. I'm here."

My mother was a remarkable woman and a wonderful mom. I learned many things from her. One of the most important things I learned is to trust my feelings. I also learned how to be an independent woman without losing my softness. She had a beautiful blend of a great mind and a warm, loving and caring heart.

What brought all this on was one more experience that happened tonight as I was looking at my email. I received, of all things, a powerpoint show on carving pumpkins. There was nothing astounding about that until the music began playing. The music was "Tennessee Waltz," which was my mother's favorite song. It was playing as she left the church at the end of her funeral. Once again, I felt her presence so close I could almost touch her.

This picture was taken in 1999. My daughter, Sarah, made this sweatshirt for my mom. I think she wore it everywhere she went. We all love you and miss you Mom, Grandma and Great Grandma! xoxoxoxo

7 comments:

Adam Wright said...

Nice POst.

Judy Roo said...

thanks ad...

Anonymous said...

Really nice Mom. We all love her very much.

I love you Grandma!

Anonymous said...

It is hard to believe it has been that long since you mother died.

Anonymous said...

.....sigh.


I love you Grandma.

I love you Mom.

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy - Loved the picture of your mother- I am so happy that the Pumpkin e-mail reminded you of her. It was also one of my beautiful mothers favorite tunes, she was a whistler and performed for many organizations and it was always in her program. I enjoy your blog and I am very happy to know you -

Your Friend Betsy

Anonymous said...

This was beautiful, Judy. I lost my mother when I was 15. That was almost 25 years ago and my heart hasn't stopped aching for her. I miss her so.

Watch your email. I'm sending you this very touching music that I know speaks both our feelings.